Stoked!!!

Reaction score
Hey all!

New guy here. I work as a editor and motion graphics artist at an ad agency. We're looking at purchasing a Phantom to get started in AV. After researching other multi's for the past 6 months, the Phantom looks to be a great choice to get started. Very happy with what i've seen so far.

Anyone in the metro Detroit area? If so, would love to come out and see it in action.

-john

here's fair warning -- this is a hobby thing. the moment you get into commercial usage, you fall into the FAA jurisdiction and they are prohibiting any commercial usage of rc crafts like the phantom.

It's a hobby you'll get addicted to!
(and hopefully you can skirt around the whole FAA crap).

good thing you (likely) know After Effects, it'll come in very handy!

Yeah, i looked at the whole FAA thing. Our client, one of the Big 3 automakers, doesn't seem to have an issue with it. We will be using it at HQ and other private areas ie; proving grounds. There's a Ford spot, people test driving eco boost cars on a race track and, with inside knowledge, an S800 was used. This is a fairly new spot too! I can always say " we used a jib arm", "a really, really long job arm" :)

AE will come in handy!

:lol: how long of a jib arm can you get? :lol:

if you are seriously looking at doing professional shots, go with the bigger s800. it is by far more stable, and able to carry the kind of equipment you will be wanting to use for a serious shoot. yes, you can get nice shots with this, but you probably already know the quality of a real production camera vs the gopro. there's no harm in using the phantom as a stepping stone to learn the flight mechanics if you are just getting into this, but i would seriously be looking at the s800 or equivalent for a professional shoot.

auck said:
there's no harm in using the phantom as a stepping stone to learn the flight mechanics if you are just getting into this, but i would seriously be looking at the s800 or equivalent for a professional shoot.

You're so correct! It is a stepping stone. It's also the boss's money! An S800 was used for some running footage we received and the shots are great. We cover mainly the motorsports aspect of the automaker (race cars and high performance specialty vehicles). We use GoPro's quite a bit and we're happy with the results.

We're currently revamping all our production gear. We shoot on EX1R's but are moving up the the F3's or Canon C500's. The best part is learning to fly correctly/safely then next year investing in the S800 w/Zenmuse. Pilot for the 800 and remote camera op. Just need to show the boss an ROI and great shots. One compliment from the client and we're golden!

The best part is that I'll purchase the Phantom at half price when we step up to the 800.

Hi there, glad to hear you're excited for the Phantom. I'm in Garden City, MI pretty close by.

Since you're going to use the Phantom for some serious (professional) video, I'd like to offer some advice:

Watch the getting started videos and download *ALL* manuals (and READ them) while you wait for the Phantom to arrive. Assemble and test fly the Phantom without the GoPro a couple of times. Attach the GoPro and make another couple of test flights, save the footage for comparison.

The mount for the GoPro on the Phantom out of the box will pick up any and all vibrations coming from the airframe and route them directly to your video. This is primarily caused by out of balance propellers. A prop balancer is therefore a must have item, and I recommend the Du Bro balancer (available on Amazon). Also, order replacement props now as while you're learning to fly you will probably have a couple of mishaps. Small nicks etc. can throw the props back out of balance.

After balancing the props, slap them on the Phantom and fly her again recording GoPro video (same settings) and compare to your out of the box video. You should notice significant difference before and after balancing.

I recommend searching and reading some of the posts in the Video forum here on PhantomPilots. Don't jump into a gimbal, etc. until you've done a lot of research.

Again, glad to hear I'll have another fellow Phantom owner in SE Michigan. PM me anytime and we can chat via phone if you'd like. This is a new hobby for me, it's exciting and I'm happy to talk Phantom anytime!

Cheers,
Paul

Awesome Paul!

I'll pm you in the next couple of days. Maybe we can meet up. There's a huge open field between 6 and 7 mile on Merriman Rd. where I usually see some rc pilots enjoying their hobby. Maybe it's between 5 and 6 Mile Rds. I'd like to take a closer look, first hand, before purchasing.

-john

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik