stock phantom controller vs futabas

FRS

Reaction score
I have never flown any type of RC but recently purchased a phantom 2 with a bunch of upgrades. How screwed am I going to be trying to learn on a futaba remote vs the stock p2 white ccontroller? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

If it is the Phantom 2 and not a Vision or Vision + you can certainly set up to use a Futaba transmitter and receiver in it. The Phantom 2 and Futaba both operate on the 2.4GHz band. If you want to do some kind of FPV you will want to use equipment on 5.8GHz for that.

The Phantom 2 Vision and Vision + use 5.8GHz for the main controller and 2.4GHz for the FPV, sort of the opposite of the plain Phantom 2.

Personally, I'd use the DJI transmitter. It already has both gimbals set up to center automatically and can do most of what you want.

If you want to go with Futaba there are tons of references on how to do that. You will need to modify the left gimbal to self center if you want to use it for Phantom flying exclusively, but you gain the option of having more channels to control various other things like gimbals, cameras, etc. You just cannot use 2.4 for any FPV.

FWIW, I am a long time RC airplane guy, I am sponsored by Futaba and I own an 18MZ. I have no issues using the DJI controller It does what it is supposed to do with a minimum of fuss and complication.

FRS said:
I have never flown any type of RC but recently purchased a phantom 2 with a bunch of upgrades. How screwed am I going to be trying to learn on a futaba remote vs the stock p2 white ccontroller? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Is there a specific reason you dont want to use the stock controller?

SilentAV8R said:
FWIW, I am a long time RC airplane guy, I am sponsored by Futaba and I own an 18MZ. I have no issues using the DJI controller It does what it is supposed to do with a minimum of fuss and complication.

I'm the same way, except I own Spektrum tx and rxs and have no desire to change that to my dji controller until/if I start doing real long distance flights and want a more solid receiver in my system. I would put more faith in a better TX than the stock TX

2trickpony - Only reason is because I ordered the DSLRpros.com sundance kit and it comes stock with the futaba.. so I really don't have a choice. I hear good things about the camera movement but am worried it will be way more advanced than I can handle in the beginning. Hope I don't crash my 3200 baby in the first run lol..

FRS said:
2trickpony - Only reason is because I ordered the DSLRpros.com sundance kit and it comes stock with the futaba.. so I really don't have a choice. I hear good things about the camera movement but am worried it will be way more advanced than I can handle in the beginning. Hope I don't crash my 3200 baby in the first run lol..

My first flight was with a Futaba 8FGS and I had to program it first as there was no profile I could use. Just take your time and you'll be fine. Read everything.

FRS said:

you'll be fine, there's lots to read up about the Futaba's,. but if you make sure all the extra switches are off, it's no different than the stock Phantom Tx really.
it's like knowing how to drive a car, .you know what the wheel, shifter ignition and pedals do, so anyone can drive about any car.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj