Still Picture Quality

Reaction score
Hi Pilots

I am not very happy with the still picture quality I get from the P3S. I am using a Snake River prototyping ND 4?CP filter. The attached picture was taken without polarization. Pic appears washed out and not sharp,. Do I need more filter? ISO 100 f2.8 1/151

Thanks
pic1_31_16.jpg

This picture is very small. 1024x768 .79MegaPixel. 326KB So hard to tell. Can you post one a full camera resolution?

DJI_0028 (2).jpg
Hi Pilots

I am not very happy with the still picture quality I get from the P3S. I am using a Snake River prototyping ND 4?CP filter. The attached picture was taken without polarization. Pic appears washed out and not sharp,. Do I need more filter? ISO 100 f2.8 1/151

ThanksView attachment 42449
Here is another photo with closer objects. Taken from back porch with PS3 on table. Picture does not look as sharp as it could be. Is this normal?

Looks good to me

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Looks good to me also. The only thing I see blurry is whats too close to the camera.
That is a good idea to place the phantom on something to test the focus. Rather than fly.

For something with a smaller sensor , this looks about the level of quality I'd expect. Think phone quality, or point & shoot camera, don't compare it to a DSLR or mirrorless.

He is right, our camera shoots at around the same quality as a iPhone 6 or a $129 GoPro hero. The big boys with the advanced and professional models have a batter camera and sensor. They shoot quality closer to a GoPro 4 IMO.

Eighth, the still photos that you posted are very close to what I am getting. I do get a better image when I do a screen capture while playing a video from my P3S.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I was expecting Samsung S6 quality...
@scottbra9 Thats a good idea - better video quality.

I think your images look pretty good. They are as sharp as I would expect from a fixed focus lens.
I shoot in Raw (DNG) and do my post processing in Adobe Lightroom 6.
I notice a high level of Luminance and Color noise, often pushing it to 75+ on each.
My normal camera is a Nikon D600 Full Frame, so I was a bit disappointed at first. Then I thought about this being 12megapixel and a tiny sensor and adjusted my expectations.
I can make some good photos with this camera, but ti takes work to get them to come out well.
Here is a 5 image Pano.

Last edited:
I think your images look pretty good. They are as sharp as I would expect from a fixed focus lens.
I shoot in Raw (DNG) and do my post processing in Adobe Lightroom 6.
I notice a high level of Luminance and Color noise, often pushing it to 75+ on each.
My normal camera is a Nikon D600 Full Frame, so I was a bit disappointed at first. Then I thought about this being 12megapixel and a tiny sensor and adjusted my expectations.
I can make some good photos with this camera, but ti takes work to get them to come out well.
Here is a 5 image Pano.
Great panoramic... good idea to shoot raw. I lave Lightroom 5.3 will try post processing. I also have a Nikon D7100 .....

Reactions: SkyKen
New to Lightroom and photography in general, though I feel I can use my Nikon D3300 and my 35mm f1.8 lens to take better pictures. That being said, I know the Nikon is 24mp vs 12mp on the P3P. Anyway, I recently attached a ND8 filter and took the attached image in a semi cloudy day. Should I even be taking stills with a ND filter on? It took some post processing to get the colors like that.

Attachments

• DJI_0002.jpg
    DJI_0002.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 443
Reactions: Divot612
ND filter is not needed for this kind of still photo. It is for slowing down shutter speed only.

If you study the picture closely where the tree line and the houses are you will see you will see how it renders the trees and buildings using areas of "flat colour shapes" rather like an artist has painted them on with a brush...

View attachment 42582
Here is another photo with closer objects. Taken from back porch with PS3 on table. Picture does not look as sharp as it could be. Is this normal?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.