Sticking gimbal

Reaction score
My p3s took a very slight tumble Today, a fall of about 6 inches off my case, flat on it's back.(upside down)

I gave up any attempt at flying and went home for a thorough check.

Changed the props and calibrated it up the ying yang and took it out for a flight check. Everything works fine accept the gimbal gets stuck in the up/down mode.

Moving the gimbal up and down by hand goes fine for a while and then there is slight resistance then fine and so on. I can't see anything impairing the movement. Rather perplexed.

I am 100% sure that no part of the gimbal/camera hit the ground and the landing was on sand with a fairly low impact.

I know gimbal threads aren't well subscribed, I have done the searches and lets face it, the buggers are a bit complicated and delicate but any help would be very much appreciated.

Reactions: movius
did any sang get stuck in there? try doing a gimbal calibration while you are hovering with no wind. It will say the calibration failed but that is what I had to do to fix a horizon issue once.

Did you tried to recalibrate the gimbal . Know you said you recalibrated but did you do that one .

Yes mate, several times just to make sure.

When you calibrate the gimbal , does it revolve in all directions like when the bird starts up. because when I did it it only went side to side.

Last edited:
did any sang get stuck in there? try doing a gimbal calibration while you are hovering with no wind. It will say the calibration failed but that is what I had to do to fix a horizon issue once.

No sand, though I did vacuum it all gently to make sure. I'll try and calibrate it in the air.

Yes mate, several times just to make sure.

When you calibrate the gimbal , does it revolve in all directions like when the bird starts up. because when I did it it only went side to side.
Side to side marty,Does sound like some trash in there but have never tried to calibrate in air . Hope that helps .

,Does sound like some trash in there .

It does, I can actually hear something when I turn it by hand?

I've found a video on how do disassemble the gimbal so I'm going to open it up and look for debris, seems logical.

Thanks again for your help, appreciated as always. Wish me luck :oops:

Last edited:
You have my admiration for your bravery alone.

Good luck!

Wish me luck :oops:
It is marty . Don't forget to take pictures of each step . I have to ..to remember how to put stuff back together :)

Its definitely worth a $5 can of compressed air before dissasembly! Could blow out that sand while gently pivoting axis

That is a brilliant idea. Never heard of such a thing but it would be perfect. Where would I source such a thing, given that I live in a (just out of mud huts) country?

I've had another horrible thought, the sand around here is extremely Ferrous, as in sticks to magnets (motors) like glue. That's why I had the bird on my case so the sand wouldn't affect the compass, bugger.

Thanks

That is a brilliant idea. Never heard of such a thing but it would be perfect. Where would I source such a thing, given that I live in a (just out of mud huts) country?

I've had another horrible thought, the sand around here is extremely Ferrous, as in sticks to magnets (motors) like glue. That's why I had the bird on my case so the sand wouldn't affect the compass, bugger.

Thanks
Not sure where you are at marty but the auto parts have it here as well as other places . Amazon has it if you were having to order it
https://www.amazon.com/Dust-Off-Fal...455847317&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=commpress+air as well as any camera site I would think .

Reactions: dirkclod
New Zealand mate, great country but getting hold of slightly unusual things can prove to be a mission. Thanks again!
Cool ..Good luck and do tell what happens :)

If it is magnetic sand you will probably not be able to clean it sufficiently with compressed air. This is a video with a link to a product you can use to clean the magnetic sand out of the gimbal motors:

If it is magnetic sand you will probably not be able to clean it sufficiently with compressed air. This is a video with a link to a product you can use to clean the magnetic sand out of the gimbal motors:

Wow, I had no idea there would be a specific solution to such a random problem.

Amazing, thank you so much for the link.

I know no one likes gimbal threads but to update those peeps kind enough to take an interest in my trials, the compressed air can trick seemed to work well. $30 nz for a can mind!! The Gimbal moves freely now and the bird is flying as well as ever.

I think I can still detect a slight noise from one of the main motors, which, if it persists, I will disassemble and attack with that putty stuff mentioned above. There is no impediment to the motors function however, so it may be an over winter job, which is fast approaching down here.:rolleyes:

Cheers everyone for your help

Reactions: dirkclod
I knew ya could do it !!.jpg

Reactions: martybabe

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie