Stick With What You Got

Reaction score
I have tossed the ideal around of stepping into the world of inspire1. After a lot of Pro's & Con's I decided I would have to be crazy to put myself in a position with something that has as much issues as the inspire1 has. I will admit I had put a deposit on one and began building a section for everything I had already started to gather.

When I began putting thought into the major issues that took place with the inspire1 during DJI's heavily built up live streaming announcement, turned me off big time! This is not to mention the cost to get onboard with the inspire1. They refer to this quad as a semi pro level, and having all of dji's best and highest priced parts.

Also to operate the inspire1 to it's fullest potential, you MUST have two pilots working the controls from two separate controllers. This might be perfect for those of you wanting to get your spouse involved with your hobby. I guess when the time comes that I see one person flying a inspire1 alone, it will make me think of someone riding a two person bicycle around the neighborhood by their self.

The best part of the inspire1 live announcement was that about the SDK stuff allowing developers to create their own apps and such for the Vision +. This should allow companies from all types to build our quad so to speak to work with their application. I applaud DJI majorly for this move! If you want to get rich quick, invest into DJI's stock cause it is about to go way way up.

I'm going slow but very interested in the Inspire.
I'm wanting it for stills so have no need for a second operator.
This is the next step forward in the evolution of aerial cameras rather than simply strapping a heavy terrestrial camera to a quad like all the other things are. The Inspire Lite or the Inspired Phantom should be really something as they develop the concept further. I'd like to see them come up with a stripped back lightweight machine that comes in under 2kg to allow easy commercial operation without full licensing. No need for downward facing optic sensor or fancy retract arms that all weigh precious grams and add $$.

Now .. how do you go about turning feature ideas into reality.
I've got a couple of ideas but doing the SDK thing is well out of my field of expertise.

Same here, main problems with it from my viewpoint - size and weight much increased so less transportable.
Overly 'intimidating' anywhere near people compared to the plastic toy look of a phantom.
Greater risk of damage/injury if something fails.
Suspect typical rushed out DJI product - beta testing by first users.
Maybe next year....

I'd be more interested in an major Vision update with a camera almost as good as the Inspire if possible (but don't really need 4k)

After seeing some of the Inspire's video posted on youtube, the camera still suffers from many of the same issues the Phantom Vision 2+ camera does. I am NOT impressed with the camera quality on the Inspire at all. They may have increased the resolution to 4k, but if the quality was not improved, the resolution increase is pointless.

I agree , I'll wait and see what issues it has.
to me the best thing about the phantom is the size and portability of it.

I like the whole concept of what is Inspire 1, but all the issues observed makes me think more of the same. I think the Inspire 3 is where I'll step in... P2V+ serves its purpose well for my current needs, now that most of the issues are known. Besides are you going to want to fly or film, sounds like a fight between me and the wife. ;)

I disagree with buying DJI stock. I think over the next year we'll see a lot more UAV designs, DJI is leading the way in that arena. But I expect to see, overall, better quality coming from others as RTF. The king has no clothes on....at least in my eyes. Maybe you'd be better off investing in a repair service.

+1 on the holdout...

I was amped to see the Insipre. I love the clarity of the FPV, the retraction ability, the modular camera design. I don't like the difficulty in flight/camera control (two control option is awesome, but it is difficult to fly solo). I learned my lesson about jumping in right away.

My P2V+ has had gimble issues, a broken ribbon cable due to poor design, GPS problems due to poor design, camera quality issues, poor customer service and support, and battery issues.

IMO, all those issues are resolved for the P2V+ original, with the exception of the new Zenmuse 1.0.0.6 firmware which causes the camera to be slow in horizontal leveling after maneuvers.

I have an inertia guard for the gimbal which fixes that design flaw. I did the GPS mod to fix the GPS aquisition issue, got an ND filter, and replaced my batteries. Now with the release of the P2V+ v3, I feel the added power, RF shielding, and camera control finally have an out-of the-box consumer product. For the last 6 months, I was a beta tester. Now I can finally just concentrate on having fun and getting "the shot". If I get bored, I'll upgrade my motors and ESC's.

When all this work has been done on the Insipre-1, parts are available, price has dropped and the second version has shipped, I may jump in. Have fun, Inspire buyers! I really enjoyed the puzzles with the P2V+ and figuring it all out on this board. But I need a break.

That is very good advice. I was really on the fence about buying the Inspire. Guess I'm a sucker for new technology. My Vision has been flying great for the past 10 months. The only time I had problems were 100% pilot error. Except for one thing, Batteries. Yesterday I had the last of my 4 DJI batteries die early. Thats roughly a $400 lost. Still have 2 Limefuel batteries running fine. I don't have enough cycles on the Limefuels to past judgement yet.

Losing a $1000 Vision would be bad, but losing a $3000 Inspire because of a bad battery would kill my flight fantasy. Again DJI comes out with a proprietary battery for the Inspire. From what I have read the Inspire warranty is no different then the Vision. If a company has any confidence in their new product at that price why not give a decent warranty.

Guess I will just stick with what I got.

The original Phantom had issues. I'm sure the Inspire 1 will as well. I also think they'll get it worked out quickly. It's just going to be a while before I can afford it.

Not sure about the two person team to fly/record though. I'm thinking one person could do it pretty well. I'm thinking plot your points and let it fly to them automatically. That would leave you free to work the camera.

One thing I was wondering about though... especially if two people were flying the Inspire. Since the camera rotates 360 wouldn't it be real easy for the person flying to get lost? You'd have to keep it pretty close and not fly it too far away using the vision app.

According to the FAA, we are supposed to stay within Line Of Site at all times, or we can be considered operating in a reckless manner, and subject to FAR 91.13 and a $10,000 fine. See this thread about the FAA: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29815

I think the FAA lacks the manpower or will to enforce all but the most infamous events resulting from FPV BVR (beyond visual range) operation, so I think most pilots will be fine. On the other hand, following the rules isn't an awful idea either, but it kills a lot of fun.

The point is, DJI isn't worried about you getting disoriented when flying the inspire, since you should be able to see it visually at all times. I know I have become disoriented flying FPV BVR on the Phantom, so I'd agree that trying it with the camera facing 120 degrees would be a very big challenge.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. I was under the impression that you COULD use two people...e.g. two control units to fly/film with the Inspire, but it was a not a reguirement True?

Yes promocop, you can fly and operate the camara all by you self. That is why you have to buy a seperate Tx if you want to operate the bird and camera with 2 persons.

DrJoe said:
According to the FAA, we are supposed to stay within Line Of Site at all times, or we can be considered operating in a reckless manner, and subject to FAR 91.13 and a $10,000 fine. See this thread about the FAA: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29815

I think the FAA lacks the manpower or will to enforce all but the most infamous events resulting from FPV BVR (beyond visual range) operation, so I think most pilots will be fine. On the other hand, following the rules isn't an awful idea either, but it kills a lot of fun.

The point is, DJI isn't worried about you getting disoriented when flying the inspire, since you should be able to see it visually at all times. I know I have become disoriented flying FPV BVR on the Phantom, so I'd agree that trying it with the camera facing 120 degrees would be a very big challenge.

Even if you do keep it in sight, a 360 camera can still leave you confused. It's hard to tell the front from the back from 300 or 400 feet.

Now with the Phantom you can just look at the camera, see which way it's pointed, and there you go. With the Inspire, you look at the camera... but which way is the camera pointed?

Maybe they've thought of this... something that tells you which way the camera is facing in relation to the craft?

It's not a deal breaker for me. If I had the cash, I'd get the Inspire tomorrow but it will add a little more difficulty.

I'm warming....a bit..to this ST 'Bird of Prey' looking thing...but, I'm tired of being a early adopter..to those who are..bravo...let us know your findings....cant wait

Since the camera on the Inspire 1 is modular (not sure to what extent though), I would've designed it to fit two cameras; one fixed (or rotatable but returns to center) for pilot camera and one for the second camera that could do 360 and tracking shots and such.

I'm sure there will be a ton of problems with any new product, especially something as complex as this drone. Sadly I just don't trust DJI to take care of me when the inevitable problems crop up. I love my Vision 2+ but just hate the company. When they discover an issue (as all companies will eventually) they have a choice: Admit the issue and repair/replace - OR - deny there ever was an issue and quietly fix it on the sly while hanging loyal customers out to dry.

Example is the WiFi module. It's faulty. DJI has released a new module with holes and more heat syncing so they clearly know there was a problem. But if you have a failed module what will DJI do for you? Nothing.

Buyer beware.

UrAwFuL said:
Since the camera on the Inspire 1 is modular (not sure to what extent though), I would've designed it to fit two cameras; one fixed (or rotatable but returns to center) for pilot camera and one for the second camera that could do 360 and tracking shots and such.

I thought the same thing!

Have one camera like the ones that come with Fat Sharks!

It would be a nice option for people who are going to go with a two controller setup.

tstowe said:
UrAwFuL said:

I thought the same thing!

Have one camera like the ones that come with Fat Sharks!

It would be a nice option for people who are going to go with a two controller setup.
Absolutely the biggest design flaw (so far) on this bird....a cheap fpv camera in the nose with a camera switch could have been added easily....

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj