Steel wool drone photography

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I was recently doing steel wool photography, which is where you light steel wool on fire and spin it while taking a long exposure. So I got some amazing pictures using my Panasonic GH5 and had a crazy idea. What if you took steel wool tied it to a cable and tied the cable to leg of a phantom 4 pro. Then put a little gas on the steel wool and flew the phantom and a expanding vertically and horizontally spiral using poi mode. I think this would look incredible, but the only problem is you’d have to have a large clear area, like a lake, the ocean or a big empty parking lot. I think I’ll try next time I go to the ocean!
Here’s the pics I got with my camera.

You may want to check rules on flying a UAS with an open flame attached to it. I believe it would come under the category of being weaponized.

had a crazy idea. What if you took steel wool tied it to a cable and tied the cable to leg of a phantom 4 pro. Then put a little gas on the steel wool and flew the phantom
Un. Believable.
You should probably rethink this idea when you sober up.

Rarely heard anything quite as utterly stupid at that idea. How do you get through life every day?

Play with bro... go ahead..the FAA wont..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190917-185907_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190917-185907_Chrome.jpg
    989.7 KB · Views: 289
  • Screenshot_20190917-185924_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190917-185924_Chrome.jpg
    881.3 KB · Views: 265
Play with bro... go ahead..the FAA wont..

Yah no (edited by moderator), I’m talking about little sparks. And anyway I would do it in a remote area, so there’s no way the faa would know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yah no shît, I’m talking about little sparks. And anyway I would do it in a remote area, so there’s no way the faa would know.
sorry if i offended you lol ?? That article maybe a little intense with the flamethrower and all... but they do go on to say. Fireworks.. roman candles etc somewhere ive seen..not trying to be self righteous so sorry if i came off that way. But you did say gasoline too right..?‍♂️ I just think that aint nothing to mess around with but hey to each their own. Maybe you got 25k laying around. Still cant compliment you on your cool picture though...you still haven't posted it.

I was recently doing steel wool photography, which is where you light steel wool on fire and spin it while taking a long exposure. So I got some amazing pictures using my Panasonic GH5 and had a crazy idea. What if you took steel wool tied it to a cable and tied the cable to leg of a phantom 4 pro. Then put a little gas on the steel wool and flew the phantom and a expanding vertically and horizontally spiral using poi mode. I think this would look incredible, but the only problem is you’d have to have a large clear area, like a lake, the ocean or a big empty parking lot. I think I’ll try next time I go to the ocean!
Here’s the pics I got with my camera.
Another thing no one else has mentioned here is that flying drones over a flame is a bad idea, I'm no scientist and I'm not sure why, but whenever drones fly over fires they seem to fall. Must be something with the air. I still don't understand why people want to attach extremely dangerous things like liquid sprayers and burning steel wool to the bottom of their extremely expensive drones. I get scared every time I take off my drone with nothing more than a ND filter attached!

Bottom line, not a good idea. Just because the FAA might not see you doesn't mean that it's okay to do! if you rob a convenience store in the middle of nowhere, sure maybe nobody will see you, but that doesn't make it right!

Reactions: Recoveryone
Still cant compliment you on your cool picture though...you still haven't posted it.
And he's not but if he decides to he can message one off the staff and this can carry on. We're not going to carry on in Photo's with out any pictures .
Hope ya understand guys.
CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic