Steady Red Light and Compass Err Message

Reaction score
Dear ladies and gentlemen,

i am a complete rookie and hope you can help me! I had my first flights with my phantom 2 - and it works amazing.

On my last flight i crashed from about 5 feet. No damages from the outside as far as i can see. But now when i turn the phantom 2 on i get a steady read light (after the power on self test). See image attached. I connected to the pc and there i get the compass err message (see screenshot!).

The copte still turns on the usual way - and would lift off but i am too afraid to fly. Please help me - i would really use my days off now to fly a little - it was so much fun!

I am really counting on your help.

Greets

Martin (from Austria)

Attachments

• Screenshot Phantom.jpg
    Screenshot Phantom.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 531
  • Foto Phantom 2 - Dauer-Rot-Licht.jpg
    Foto Phantom 2 - Dauer-Rot-Licht.jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 583
Welcome to the forum.
Have you calibrated the compass after the crash?

Thanks for the reply. When I switch the little switch on the top right corner of my remote control (6 times). I think that's how I calibrate the compass. The problem is the red light stays on and nothing happens.

i did both:
the imu calibration was done - no change
i controlled all the cables - nothing seems to be loose - still the same problem

what i realized is that in the imu calibration the gyroscope and acceleration numbers are changing as i move the copter but the compass(raw) data all stays at zero. - see attached image

Hope you guys can help me! I want to fly so badly.

Attachments

• compasserr.jpg
    compasserr.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 467
Read the manual about how to calibrate the compass. It will say to flick the S1 switch 8 times or so and then do a compass dance. Did you do that? I see that your screen shot says compass error. If you didn't do the dance, then the manual will tell you how to do it.
The steady red lights sound like a more fundamental problem. I can't see your screen image well, but it looks like some of your values are out of balance.

Here is the URL to a guide that a lot of time, effort, and pilots on this forum have contributed to:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mv8d1hohc3mce ... e.pdf?dl=0

If they are all showing Zero then i would say the compass was affected by the crash, maybe a loose wire ?

thank you great pumpkin for your answer.
i can't do the dance - because when i flick s1 eight times nothing happens and the copter stays with the steady red light. if you click on the screen image you can see it bigger. should i still read the guide?

@crash1sttime : i opened the copter and checked the wires they all seem to be fine. on one of the legs of the copter is the little thing with compass written on it - can i / should i open thisto check wires in there?

Do not fly it until you get the mod value in range! Your compass may be faulty. Are you getting any numbers other than zero in the compass X,Y,Z fields?

what i realized is that in the imu calibration the gyroscope and acceleration numbers are changing as i move the copter but the compass(raw) data all stays at zero. - see attached image
this stays zero in all fields

yes that is the compass, im not sure but i think the wire loom plugs into it, try pulling it out gently and then pushing it back in again.

failing that there is something about waving a magnet around the compass to degause (not sure if thats spelt right)it, DJI had a video about it but i can only find these

DJI Phantom compass calibration

And this Phantom pilots thread

Degaussing won't fix anything if the compass isn't returning sensor data. Check the wiring. All zeros tells me the wiring might be OK but the compass itself is probably dead or not getting power.

Try reseating the compass connector.

If that does not work try a replacement compass/leg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20