Steady Flashing Yellow Light

Reaction score
Brand new Phantom. Took it outside to calibrate and when I started the process, the light just started blinking yellow steadily. The manual says its lost its connection to the transmitter but I know it sees it. I can see the led on the board where the pairing button is turn on and off when I turn on and off the transmitter. So I keep digging but I don't see any real solutions. One said they sent theres back like it was just a bad device. Some made reference to a bad compass. Ive seen a video of trying to use a magnet to get it back to calibration range but that light is a red/yellow light flash. This is strictly yellow.
My steps were to install the latest Assistant software
Then I ran the firmware upgrade of 4.02
Then I loaded the default parameters
Then that's when I took it outside for calibration.
Ive gone through every document I could find and every youtube video but only find the one that is the exact problem (hes the one who just sent it back)
Anybody else have any suggestions?

well,. one thing you can do, is while it's still blinking yellow lights, is connect to the NAZA assistant and see what it says?

But flashing yellow generally does mean it's lost connection, and the Phantom is in failsafe mode.
not a good thing to occur while you're flying!!

Gizmo3000 said:
well,. one thing you can do, is while it's still blinking yellow lights, is connect to the NAZA assistant and see what it says?

But flashing yellow generally does mean it's lost connection, and the Phantom is in failsafe mode.
not a good thing to occur while you're flying!!

It shows it's all up to date but does not show that it's talking to the transmitter. Properly at least. If I move any of the controllers I get nothing on the screen that moves. If I try and run calibration, it finishes fine. Advanced calibration will first throw a error saying it's too hot and to let cool but this does this no matter what, even if it's been off. I've seen others that have said this too.
I will eventually get a error 27 for GPS calibration error but can never get it to talk to the receiver.
Like I said, I can see a red light go on and off when I powered cycle the transmitter on a board inside the battery compartment. There is a black button next to it so I'm pretty sure this is the binding button even though it shows inside the case on any of the documentation I've read. I believe dji must have made this more accessible in the model I have.
Another weird thing I noticed about this one and the transmitter -
This is actually the second one I bought. The first one I got all pre-set up ( everything but the final calibration) and handed it off to a coworker. That one worked fine. But this one is a bit different. First it has two antennas, the first one had one. Also the transmitter has that little lever on the back that I thought was something you added for a gimbal. The first one I bought didn't have that. I'm wondering if I somehow have a wrong transmitter or something.

OI Photography said:
Double-check to make sure the top-right selector switch on the transmitter is all the way up in "GPS" position

Yes it is. I even did a TX calibration. I must have a bad transmitter or receiver.

Had the same thing happen to me a month ago when I got my new Phantom..............select D-BUS for receiver type and you'll be good to go!

cczx14r said:
Had the same thing happen to me a month ago when I got my new Phantom..............select D-BUS for receiver type and you'll be good to go!
Bingo!!!
How did this happen?
How come It doesn't say this anywhere?
I was also watching another video and he was definitely on PPM. So Its supposed to be on D-Bus?
Thank you so much. Hey Forums really work.

Gizmo3000 said:
glad it's been solved!
(sure beats having to send it back to the dealer!!)
safe flying!

At least it was Amazon. Easy return. Gizmo.... Your not Jason are you?

I am having the exact same problem. Switching to D-Bus does allow it to communicate with the controller, but mine refuses to start even after multiple compass calibrations. I can't do an advanced IMU calibration either, because I get the controller is too hot error, but it isn't really too hot.
Colin's DJI video clearly shows that the receiver type should be PPM, but there is no communication when that type is selected.
Really appreciate some help.

vanatic99 said:
I am having the exact same problem. Switching to D-Bus does allow it to communicate with the controller, but mine refuses to start even after multiple compass calibrations. I can't do an advanced IMU calibration either, because I get the controller is too hot error, but it isn't really too hot.
Colin's DJI video clearly shows that the receiver type should be PPM, but there is no communication when that type is selected.

I was told the newer models with the two antennas are d-bus. The too hot message can be addressed by getting advanced calibration ready from a cold plug in of the battery or by just continuing to click calibrate under advanced.
I think the tutorials are with older models. I've been buying these for work and have found almost every model was a bit different from the next. Direct dji support tells me d-bus is the latest receiver. Put it on d-bus and you will be flying.

vanatic99 said:
1. Colin's video is of the earlier version Phantoms that used PPM as receiver type.
2. The "controller is too hot" is a software bug, click on through it to complete your IMU calibration.

How about when you only get transmitter signal 2 to 3 feet away? I checked range on software and it's at 2000m and I used a new transmitter! I can't find the new Version 1.1.1 receivers any where, Do you think it's the receiver or something in the Naza?

First- my apologies for not posting any formal intro as I looked, by didn't see any. I do not mean to walk in the door and begin by showing disrespect.

I post here as this is my specific issue currently. I also get an error message as described about overheating. I never expected to find answers to my 2 main problems on a single forum, much less in a single thread- and while I haven't had a chance to go and see if the suggestions here are in fact a remedy, I am feeling confident, and decided to take a moment to register and express my appreciation no matter what.

I began this dabbling into the Phantom due to an event shoot I have coming up this week- and despite my initial order placed over a month ago which had to be sent back, I still somehow got one in my hands to do the shoot... and then this yellow light deal. The last Phantom went back purely on principle- the vendor sold it as "the newest version" and I received a v1.2- which was not the newest as everyone knows.

I do have some confusion still as I thought I was to have visible power leads in the available plug (they are not) and I thought there was a gimbal lead already (probably my wishful thinking)

With the zenmuse price drop- I may send the goodluckbuy gimbal back, or use it on another rig and pick that up- but I have tried to find info on the exact setup with the v1.1.1 in a definitive way and can not- I am thinking my answers are here with some research.

I am an old r/c hobbyist that used to play with electric race cars a decade ago- and now I am rediscovering the hobby due to my video pursuits.

I also have some questions on protocol, rules, written, and unwritten regs, and general philosophy of this specific niche of the hobby as due to the nature and ability of aerial photography, and due to the "new normal" we live in, I do not want to make any assumptions- I am a rebel, and spent much of my life "...begging forgiveness rather than asking for permission" but I am far too old and slow now to live that way, and I am not that selfish to ruin a fascinating hobby like this before it has a chance to truly take off (pun certainly intended)

Please feel free to point me by link or message to all info- and please know I will be lurking, reading, and trying to glean the knowledge this board has to offer.

Hiway .....o~^o

Ok- just to follow up...

...a cup of coffee and 2 dogs walked, and a few moments hooked up to the assistant software nets me.... A WORKING AND OPERATIONAL PHANTOM! Took about an hour- and that was cause I took my time.

WOOT!

I need to know where to send the holiday cards, m'kay?
*thanx good members.

Hiway said:
I do have some confusion still as I thought I was to have visible power leads in the available plug (they are not) and I thought there was a gimbal lead already (probably my wishful thinking)
I'm sure exactly what your referring to but there is an extra wire inside the Phantom I believe toward the front left where there is a hole with nothing coming out like the others "Compass and antennas", This I believe is a extra power lead for your gimbal or what ever you need power for! Never used it myself but I think this is what your referring it's not visible though until you open it up and pull it through the hole and then you would have to hard wire into what ever your connecting to or ad a connector to it!! Let me know if this helps.

phantomflyer said:
Hiway said:
I'm sure exactly what your referring to but there is an extra wire inside the Phantom I believe toward the front left where there is a hole with nothing coming out like the others "Compass and antennas", This I believe is a extra power lead for your gimbal or what ever you need power for! Never used it myself but I think this is what your referring it's not visible though until you open it up and pull it through the hole and then you would have to hard wire into what ever your connecting to or ad a connector to it!! Let me know if this helps.

You are spot on to what I was referring to- I was noticing that on many Phantoms (and the previous one I returned (v1.2) the auxiliary power lead we are speaking of was set into a rubber plug- basically one could use a set of needle node pliers to pull out the lead without disassembling the Phantom- my Phantom most likely has the lead, but it isn't set into the plug so I can grab it. Small inconvenience, but as with all of DJI Phantoms- the only consistency is a complete lack of consistency.

Hiway said:
phantomflyer said:
Hiway said:

You are spot on to what I was referring to- I was noticing that on many Phantoms (and the previous one I returned (v1.2) the auxiliary power lead we are speaking of was set into a rubber plug- basically one could use a set of needle node pliers to pull out the lead without disassembling the Phantom- my Phantom most likely has the lead, but it isn't set into the plug so I can grab it. Small inconvenience, but as with all of DJI Phantoms- the only consistency is a complete lack of consistency.

From what I have read the latest version 1.1.1 no longer has the aux power supply lead. Though I believe that some people have opened up their Phantoms and added their own.

fly-catchers said:
From what I have read the latest version 1.1.1 no longer has the aux power supply lead. Though I believe that some people have opened up their Phantoms and added their own.

Great- what is the deal with this company? 2 steps forward, and 3 steps back. Do they not think this through? (or is it thought through with something more devious than customer friendly in mind?)

I do not really care- I will mod to fit my desires and needs- and the temp notched battery door with the gimbal I found at ebay is working superb. Yesterday's maiden flights had some vignetting in the video- which was caused by my ND filter not being slid all the way on- I was afraid that the mount with velcro was preventing a solid seat- but today's test footage is not showing it. Shooting in 1080p at 60fps with excellent stability via gps in 3mph winds with this gimbal is netting me about 7 to 8 minutes of flight time with a minute of ground time putting on gloves before takeoff on the battery (it is also about 27 degrees (f) outside today. (incidentally- the Dronefly battery included with this Phantom is getting about a minute more on average than the stock battery)

I ramble and digress though...

fly-catchers said:

Welcome Hiway,

Glad you made it through the "too hot" mirage in order to calibrate your imu.

My v1.1.1 has the aux. cable. It was in the white plug, but was not noticeable from the outside. Although adding other aux. tie ins are not a problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20