Stay calm ! Prevent "Fly Away's"

Reaction score
So I was pushing the setup for distance with video and get to almost 3000' lose signal for a second everything comes back but video. Close app reopen have all telemetry still no video. Stop filming close app still nothing. By now I've adjusted position moved a bit video wont come back. :(

I panicked a little because I'm still a rookie under 100 flights. I just hate to rely on HL or RTH. Using the Primary flight display and watching telemetry I was able to get her home. Well almost ... I passed myself twice first time 1200 feet out and then to 700 then battery warning :eek: hit home loc and brought her in. I was still off from where I thought it was but I was working it closer.

So as the title reads all I'm letting the rest of the rookies know is don't panic stay calm and think your actions through. I know every wreck I have had was because I panicked.

I have not ever tried radar view ? I don't even know how to get to it.

Well losing the video had me wondering so I was just checking it out and now I cant even connect to the camera at all.
what would have caused that everything is charged up??
Its not getting the repeater info Looking like a reset and maybe have to re bind it?

Strange.

Radar view is really useful, in my opinion. It's in the manual. Just touch the artificial horizon, bottom left. You'll get a top down "radar style" view showing the aircraft's orientation and its bearing from you. I tend to keep it on all the time when operating at the edge of visual range as a check on orientation should things go a bit pear-shaped.

As to your current issue, I'm not sure why you're not connecting. If you have extender and aircraft switched on, and the camera's on/off/wifi switch all the way over to the right you should be seeing the Phantom_xxxxxxx SSID. Is the system light on the range extender flashing green, showing data going to and from the camera?

well crap
I re- set the repeater and did a rebind on the camera.
Android = I connect to the wifi but no to the camera
Ipad= I can connect and select the camera but then it also fails to display and gives an error.

Nothing got dropped or bumped, I just lost video during flight and figured it was because of signal .

Any thoughts?

Pull_Up said:
Radar view is really useful, in my opinion. It's in the manual. Just touch the artificial horizon, bottom left. You'll get a top down "radar style" view showing the aircraft's orientation and its bearing from you. I tend to keep it on all the time when operating at the edge of visual range as a check on orientation should things go a bit pear-shaped.

As to your current issue, I'm not sure why you're not connecting. If you have extender and aircraft switched on, and the camera's on/off/wifi switch all the way over to the right you should be seeing the Phantom_xxxxxxx SSID. Is the system light on the range extender flashing green, showing data going to and from the camera?

ya know I was going to guess that was how I just never tried it or looked it up .

In my limited experience radar view is really helpful when you're far away, as you said, to know what the phantom's last heading is...

But if you lose wifi, then I think the radar view quits updating too - so you really only know the heading of the phantom right before the connection broke.

So my feeling is that if this happens, and you start trying to bring it back manually, you may actually be flying further away without realizing it.

Is it true that in this situation (wifi signal lost, controller signal still intact) the best thing to do is put it in Home Lock mode and just use the right stick to bring it back until you can restore wifi signal?

What are your thoughts?

-Jeff.

jeffrg270 said:
In my limited experience radar view is really helpful when you're far away, as you said, to know what the phantom's last heading is...

But if you lose wifi, then I think the radar view quits updating too - so you really only know the heading of the phantom right before the connection broke.

So my feeling is that if this happens, and you start trying to bring it back manually, you may actually be flying further away without realizing it.

Is it true that in this situation (wifi signal lost, controller signal still intact) the best thing to do is put it in Home Lock mode and just use the right stick to bring it back until you can restore wifi signal?

What are your thoughts?

-Jeff.

yes you are correct, but I had telemetry and was just having fun trying to fly it home with the compass and distance readings.

Sad part is something other than distance has caused me to lose video.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.