Stay below 10 feet in No Fly Zone?

Reaction score
This may seem like a silly question but there are lots of areas I'd love to film in the city that are in the No Fly Zone. But I'm only looking to hover no more than 10 feet off the ground. Am I able to do this? Is there a height restriction in No Fly Zone or you can't fly at all in these areas?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Which "No-Fly" zone are you talking about?
The simple answer is no, you can't fly at all, not even at 10', in a no-fly zone.
If you're talking about the SFRA (Special Flight Rules Area) in the Washington, DC area, the no-fly zone includes a radius of 15 miles around KDCA (Washington National Airport). The SFRA is a 30 mile radius, but the area between 15 and 30 miles is less restrictive. There's a lot of confusion, because last December the FAA extended the SFRA from the ground up out to 30 miles, but since then, has shrunk it back to 15 miles. No Drone Zone
Check out the rules for drones recently published (FAR Part 107) for Drones, Getting Started.
DJI have established a database containing no-fly areas, as well as other limitations on your flying. It is designed to keep you out of trouble. For example, within that 15 mile SFRA surrounding KDCA, your aircraft will simply not operate, and you will receive a notice of why.
No FLY Zones | DJI
Now, thank your nanny!
Get the FAA-produced app B4U Fly for your smartphone. It'll explain everything.

Last edited:
I don't know of any TFR or special rules areas where the restricted airspace starts at 11ft. If it's that low, it's to the ground.

At 10 feet you could use a step ladder to get that high.

Of course I understand your frustration. One of the areas I'd love to get some photos is 4.9 miles from the local airport. I've tried calling and emailing the airport and have never received a responce. The airport elevation is 2284 ASL and the area I want to fly in is 1127 ASL well below any flight paths in or out of the airport. My max altitude would be under 100 feet which is below the height of most of the buildings so even if an aircraft decided to buzz the city I'd still be below their flight path.

The local police chief has given me permission so long as I can produce written permission from the airport. Like he said, it is to cover his rear as well as mine.

Depending on the version of your Ap and such you can "unlock" certain DJI flight restricted areas but if it's not "unlockable" your aircraft won't even start the motors to allow you to fly 1" off the ground.

Keep in mind a true No Fly Zone is exactly that.. NO fly what so ever unless noted otherwise (rare).

Thanks guys. Just seems a shame that there isn't some height restriction. Like between 1-5 miles you can fly but have to be below 30 feet or something.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Like between 1-5 miles you can fly but have to be below 30 feet or something
then you wouldnt be able to dodge simple things like houses, phone lines, telephone poles, trees and more
and someone could take advantage of that if they did want to fly into a plane (which i know you dont) and launch on a building, so even though it thinks it is 30 feet high, it is actually 430 feet high

At 10 feet you could use a step ladder to get that high.

Of course I understand your frustration. One of the areas I'd love to get some photos is 4.9 miles from the local airport. I've tried calling and emailing the airport and have never received a responce. The airport elevation is 2284 ASL and the area I want to fly in is 1127 ASL well below any flight paths in or out of the airport. My max altitude would be under 100 feet which is below the height of most of the buildings so even if an aircraft decided to buzz the city I'd still be below their flight path.

The local police chief has given me permission so long as I can produce written permission from the airport. Like he said, it is to cover his rear as well as mine.

Looks like you've done your part in trying to contact them. I'd guess you are referring to Johnstown airport (KJST) as your contact. Try the airport manager at 814-536-0002. Or better yet, the Johnstown tower at 814-532-5980. If you do call the tower, ask them if they are busy first before starting asking questions. If busy, offer to call them back later. If there are no TFR's or other restrictions in the area, you should be able to fly. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: BigAl07
Apparently new update allows you to chose to fly but DJI will have a record of those that chose to fly in No Fly Zones.

i've flown at a UK RAF airbase, it was for a car meet & the got authority from the powers that be at the airbase to fly as long as I didn't go over 30ft (there were building taller than that on site). It wasn't marked as a no fly zone

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr