Stats On Fly Aways?

Reaction score
I'm guessing this would be a hard number to quantify but are there any known statistics on how likely a fly away is to occur? I'm sure this number isn't well known because no one reports all their flights that go well and all we hear about is how something went wrong but it would be nice to know since it might affect how daring you get with sending the Phantom away from you and out of sight given you know how likely you are to be able to control it.

I don't think it's that common with the P2. Don't think I have seen one true flyaway reported where it was not user error in some way.

Useless.

You have no idea of the a/c equipment and maintenance status, the pilot's skill & experience, the weather conditions, to name a few.

Fly-away is a verb not a noun.

It would be impossible to calculate because you would have to know the number of "fly-aways" vs. "normal flights" flown under the same exact conditions considering all of the variables the N017RW stated and more. The only general rule you can go by is... The more prepared you are and the more care you take prior to launch, the less likely a "fly-away" situation will occur - as this type of situation (strictly speaking a non-return) is most often due to pilot error IMO.

I think a lot of people are calling lost aircraft fly aways. I had an instance today when my craft was returning home the head wind caused it to use to much battery and it could not make it back... All of a sudden it said landing. It was an autonomous flight so I really didn't know exact ally where to look. I was flying on a path over the river in the marsh area. My heart stopped. Went looking and couldn't find her. Turned on the where is my Phantom and a GPS map came up showing where I was and where my quad was. I was over 3 blocks away. Followed the map and drove right up next to her. Heart started beating Again. All I could see was the so called flyaway was $$$$$ down the marsh. But behold it was not a flyaway but ho ho ho pilot error. Didn't calculate fora coming up 15-20 mph headwind. She was on her way back when she went down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.