Starting from higher altitudes

Reaction score
Hi,
I am awaiting delivery of my P2 w/Zenmuse H3-2D gimbol. I already have a Hero 3+

I live at altitude (over a mile up), and because the air is thinner I know the Phantom won't behave the same as no flying devices do, regardless of their size.

Anyone here have experience with that? Should I expect a big performance hit? Are there upgrades to make it more high-altitude compatible? I've heard that the carbon-fiber props perform best at higher speeds, but I don't know how that affects my situation.

Are there high-altitude stability or safety issues I should be aware of?

Many thanks in advance!

I'm curious about this as well, as I spend a fair amount of time up in the Rocky Mountains during the winters.

Everything I have read all say the same witch is shorter flight times .

I've only had mine up at marginally high altitude for a day, and my limited experience agrees with 750r. Very small reduction in flight times because the air is thinner and the props have to spin faster to achieve lift, potential for more rapid descents. Other than that, it's the same as flying sea level. If you live at altitude, you'll have nothing to compare it to so it will just function "normally" for you :)

There are no issues with altitude hold or RTH height from launching at altitude.

I live at 7K and the P2V performs very well. I've not yet flown it at sea level so I can't compare, but it flies fine and the battery life seems to compare favorably with folks at lower elevations.

Thanks for the responses. I do plan to use it at sea level quite a bit, so I will have some comparisons.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj