Standard Thread Lock Warning

Wish I had found this out a couple of weeks ago.. totally gutted.

I also destroyed all the plastic screw posts in my P2 shell using standard blue threadlock.

Last time I took it apart was when I mounted the ground station and flytrex. When I put it back together I used blue thread lock (silly me I assumed that as there was blue threadlock already on the screws, I should replace it)

Please don't make the mistake I did! DO NOT use blue threadlock!!!

britchris1 said:
Wish I had found this out a couple of weeks ago.. totally gutted.

I also destroyed all the plastic screw posts in my P2 shell using standard blue threadlock.

I learnt the hard way too :( I've now bought several packs of Phantom Replacement Screws that are 'pre' threadlocked and just use a new one when I remove old one.

Not to sound naive but I have had the top off of my Phantom half a dozen times over the last couple months for various upgrades and cable changes and have reused the same screws that came with it and have not applied any additional thread lock per the instructions.

As one of my maintenance actions I routinely check all the screws for tightness (including the motor mounts) about every 5 flights and have no worries about them becoming dislodged.

Anecdotaly, I had the "opportunity" to experience what the loss of not one but a lot of the screws would mean to flying. I was testing some change inside and I needed to bench test it before I buttoned it all back up so I only put one screw in each arm (the easy one). Everything checked out, got distracted, then went for a flight. To my surprise when I brought it back inside the container where I put all the pieces had a lot of screws in it.

So, the easy answer is the P2 will fly with just one screw in each arm and won't fall from the sky, I NEVER plan on doing that again but I think the issue of thread lock is a bit over analyzed and just a quick torque every few flights to make sure nothing is rattling lose should be fine.

The compound they put on the stock screws seems to last more than one use. I have never used any thread locker on the P2 except for the anti-drop screws on the 2D gimbal and that was used sparingly. Plastic and thread locker do not like each other.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4