Standard range issues in 2017?

Reaction score
I'm interested in purchasing a P3S. It would be my first GPS-enabled drone, whereas my other drones are "toy grade" and cost $50-$100USD. Does the P3S have adequate range capability out of the box if you buy one right now? Does the latest firmware and app software version allow for a range where you can still see the drone?

I would mostly fly in a very large, tree-less, flat, urban park. The open flying space is about 500 yards long by 300 yards wide. I don't feel comfortable flying anything further than I can see it. Is the range on a stock P3S strong enough for this type of environment?

The range of the P3s can be somewhat variable based on surrounding WiFi interference but is definitely more than adequate for your intended use. Some owners fly a mile or more in areas of low interference. As an aside, if you feel the need for more range at some point there are several very inexpensive options for extending it. These include an antenna mod such as the directional Alfa's (about $35 U.S. and potentially extend range up to a couple of miles) and of course the Litchi app.

I absolutely do not feel comfortable flying beyond where I can see the drone. My wife is an attorney and I'm aware of legal repercussions that could occur should my drone damage something or someone because I couldn't see it. That's why I have no interest in flying miles away. I hope the P3S has adequate range for flying 1/4 to 1/3 of a mile.

That type of range should not be an issue, unless as someone pointed out Wi Fi interference. If you have local hot spots or even nearby home networks can cause connection issues with the Standard, because it uses Wi-Fi signal as control and not Lightbridge as the P3A and P3P do. Even if you get the interference warnings, most times they are just that and not detrimental. Not to say you should ignore them, but just be careful and watch for signal loss.

I absolutely do not feel comfortable flying beyond where I can see the drone. My wife is an attorney and I'm aware of legal repercussions that could occur should my drone damage something or someone because I couldn't see it. That's why I have no interest in flying miles away. I hope the P3S has adequate range for flying 1/4 to 1/3 of a mile.

I'm interested in purchasing a P3S. It would be my first GPS-enabled drone, whereas my other drones are "toy grade" and cost $50-$100USD. Does the P3S have adequate range capability out of the box if you buy one right now? Does the latest firmware and app software version allow for a range where you can still see the drone?
I have the standard since January, it give me around 200 meters maximum in a suburban area. I will imaging that in the country side it can go up to a mile. Never really tested the maximum range.

I own a P3 4K. Similar to the Standard, it uses Wifi to operate. That said, I've reached distances of 1600m in rural/open areas. In congested areas (like my neighborhood), I rarely get more than 300-500m.

I would mostly fly in a very large, tree-less, flat, urban park. The open flying space is about 500 yards long by 300 yards wide. I don't feel comfortable flying anything further than I can see it. Is the range on a stock P3S strong enough for this type of environment?
the app allows you to set altitude and distance limits within your comfort zone........wi-fi interference may even leave you wanting a bit more range.

the P3S will work fine for you even past the distance you stated right out of the box. I don't fly any further then I can see the drone even if its just a speck I can still see it and see what's around it and that's right out of the box no mods. I did install an ARGtek so that my signal is rock solid even though it was anyway from the factory. I just want the best signal I can get.

Great, thanks for all the responses! Sounds like the Standard will fit the bill for me since I'm a close range flyer.

Great, thanks for all the responses! Sounds like the Standard will fit the bill for me since I'm a close range flyer.
You will be happy... Got mine since January and has been the best drone I ever have. Very stable drone. Just make sure to calibrate just one time in an isolated area. Away from any type of metal or cement platform. The grass is ok.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20