Stand alone Ipad or Android for Go app?

Reaction score
Hoping to get a bit of info from the many of you out there who are smarter than me. Being somone "of a certain age", I'm not super immersed into Internet communications and I also need reading glasses. That said, I currently fly my P3A using the Go app with my Iphone. I would like to start using a tablet with a larger screen, but I'd rather not have to pay my data provider an additional monthly fee for a 2nd device. Since the P3A generates it's own link with the transmitter, am I correct in assuming that a tablet can be used as a stand alone device with no need for Internet connection? If so, are there any important features that I'd lose (I'm not worried about sending images to Youtube, etc.)? Can the Go app be downloaded onto my desktop and then be transferred to either an Ipad or Android device? Any important differences between Ipad and Android? Thanks for any advice!

Hoping to get a bit of info from the many of you out there who are smarter than me. Being somone "of a certain age", I'm not super immersed into Internet communications and I also need reading glasses. That said, I currently fly my P3A using the Go app with my Iphone. I would like to start using a tablet with a larger screen, but I'd rather not have to pay my data provider an additional monthly fee for a 2nd device. Since the P3A generates it's own link with the transmitter, am I correct in assuming that a tablet can be used as a stand alone device with no need for Internet connection? If so, are there any important features that I'd lose (I'm not worried about sending images to Youtube, etc.)? Can the Go app be downloaded onto my desktop and then be transferred to either an Ipad or Android device? Any important differences between Ipad and Android? Thanks for any advice!
Hi sir. You can check out this post to get a little more information for your research.

Tablets and phones that work well with DJI GO | Page 21 | DJI Phantom Forum

Since the P3A generates it's own link with the transmitter, am I correct in assuming that a tablet can be used as a stand alone device with no need for Internet connection?
Correct.

If so, are there any important features that I'd lose (I'm not worried about sending images to Youtube, etc.)?
If your tablet does not have an Internet connection, then you'll either need to tether it to your iPhone to get maps when you're out flying or cache the maps before you head out to fly.

Can the Go app be downloaded onto my desktop and then be transferred to either an Ipad or Android device?
No, but you can install the DJI GO app directly from the app store on your tablet.

Any important differences between Ipad and Android?
Android devices are less expensive and will be more foreign to you if you've never used an Android device. It should be pretty easy to pick up though after you invest a few hours. Also, most Android devices come with GPS. Only cellular Apple devices have GPS. That means you cannot buy a Wi-Fi only iPad Air if you want to use the features that require GPS. Currently, that includes the Follow Me feature and being able to reset the home point to your current location after takeoff. The latter would only be useful if you move far away from the original home point after takeoff.

If you'd like to compare the devices, you can find a list of commonly used Apple and Android devices here.

If Android consider Nvidia K1 or iPad mini 4 both have great video processing power. The K1 is great value for money[emoji851]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

msinger & Skypicswa, thank you both for taking the time to post this helpful info - much appreciated.

Some great info but, yes, I'm having a senior moment!!

If the tablet has GPS built in (for live mapping I assume) does it need a cellular connection as well?

I ask because many devices have GPS (as has been stated above) but if you add cellular capability then the price goes through the roof and you're also stuck with monthly or pay as you go charges.

I just don't want to make an expensive error and over spec the device.

Kind regards
David

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

If the tablet has GPS built in (for live mapping I assume) does it need a cellular connection as well?
You don't need GPS to see/use the live map. You will need an Internet connection to download the map images and/or cache them for offline use. As I explained above, GPS on the mobile device is only needed if you want to use the Follow Me feature or be able to reset the home point to your current location after takeoff.

Thanks for the review RHP, wow, it looks a beast. Will look into UK pricing but expecting it to be a tad expensive.

Msinger, gonna risk your wrath and ask one last question still eluding me from all the answers above.

Do I need 3g/4g or whatever to fly a p3p?

Do I need 3g/4g or whatever to fly a p3p?
You don't need a cellular mobile device in order to fly. If you buy an Apple device, it must be the cellular version (and not Wi-Fi only version) if you want to use the features that require GPS on your mobile device.

Reactions: movius
No you don't need either.
But I do have a 5G modem for my WiFi home network. Hehe
You will only need a cellular connection turned on, if you want to stream live video to YouTube from your drone.

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Thank you both. The answer I was looking for.

Get a wifi and cellular tablet and possibly a share plan with your existing phone. Then leave the cellular feature in the off position on the tablet, that way the gps uses the cellular antennae but doesn't use cell service(no phone charges).

I do that with an iPad mini 4 sharing plan with an iPhone 6. I use the iPad as standalone with cell service off and GPS via the cell antennae.

Some great info but, yes, I'm having a senior moment!!

I ask because many devices have GPS (as has been stated above) but if you add cellular capability then the price goes through the roof and you're also stuck with monthly or pay as you go charges.

I just don't want to make an expensive error and over spec the device.

Kind regards
David

Hi David. If you follow the link in the post a few above yours in this same thread, there is an overview of assorted scenarios and some notes that may help with your senior moment.

Stand alone Ipad or Android for Go app? | DJI Phantom Forum

I went with air 2 with celluar and have zero problems, fits in holder and the controller is not even heavy with tablet.

Thanks Oso. Your post shocked my old brain back into synch. Many thanks, studying the last as I write this.

Ordered the Nvidia Shield tablet from B&H and just tried my first flight with it - works great and of course, much easier to deal with using reading glasses. An added bonus - since I connect to the internet using a tethered iphone, a wifi hotspot is created (didn't know that before), enabling me to connect the new tablet as well. Thanks for all the advice!

Great choice congrats

Phantom 3 Pro / iPad Air 2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers