Stage 4 Solar EVENT..fly?

Reaction score
Hi. Just wondering if anyone noticed the news today about the STAGE 4 solar event reported by NOAA:
"A geomagnetic storm that government scientists rate as severe hit the planet on Tuesday morning.

The storm rated as a G4 on a NOAA scale, which tops out at G5. It's the strongest storm that's happened in the current solar cycle, which lasts about 11 years.

The Space Weather Prediction Center says that the storm is from sun activity that started on March 15. Two magnetic eruptions occurred in quick succession. They combined into one larger eruption before intersecting the Earth's orbit on Tuesday.

The storm arrived earlier (10 a.m. EDT) and was stronger than predicted. The storm could last 24-36 hours.

It warned that there could be possible widespread voltage control problems at power systems and some protective systems could trip out key assets from the grid but that appeared to not be happening."

Would this have any effect on GPS system and therefore is it recommended to avoid flying during this period?
Steve

Sweet. Its Wednesday here in Australia so I'm not affected :)
Lol.

If you need to fly, just keep her close. If the solar winds knock the sats, it just means you have less and she'll probably switch to ATTI. Or wait till night when and operate on the darkside of the earth :)

That's a great article...I did go to the NOAA site in his article and the K rating may go above 7, so why not wait a day or so to fly? :)

pianoflyer said:
That's a great article...I did go to the NOAA site in his article and the K rating may go above 7, so why not wait a day or so to fly? :)
Because the issues are greatly exaggerated and you'll probably not notice any effect at all just like all the others that went flying without hearing that the sky is falling?

You may notice some GPS oddities but just be ready with ATTI mode if something happens. Most likely you won't notice anything.

Ground station users may notice the maps are off (or not). The rest of us use GPS in a relative positioning capacity so we'd only notice the atmospheric drift if we were flying for hours.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers