Stadiums as NFZs

Reaction score
What is the theory behind making stadiums NFZs? They are occupied about 8 hours a week MAX and I see no danger in flying when unoccupied. Its rather annoying.

The current NFZ system, even the 'new and improved' beta system doesn't have the smarts to determine when a stadium is full and empty. So they do the easy.

Likely since it would be difficult to turn off and on NFZs based on various schedules therefore, they remain off limits at all times.

I understand that, but what happened to someone being able to choose whether to break the law or not? There was already local ordinances in place that didn't allow for drones to fly 3 hours previous to, during, or 3 hours after an event.

I understand that, but what happened to someone being able to choose whether to break the law or not? There was already local ordinances in place that didn't allow for drones to fly 3 hours previous to, during, or 3 hours after an event.
That's the whole purpose of the Geofencing system that we all have come to admire. This is exactly the use case that DJI envisions - you take the responsibility. The owners of said structure might not be too keen on your plans, but again, that is your call.

That's the whole purpose of the Geofencing system that we all have come to admire. This is exactly the use case that DJI envisions - you take the responsibility. The owners of said structure might not be too keen on your plans, but again, that is your call.

I'm not following you, sorry. Can you explain that a little better? But back to the stadium, it isn't like an airport where danger could present itself every minute or second even, but its scheduled events that are like 2% of the entire year's time.

Also, these NFZs, can you fly into them if you take off outside of them?

I understand that, but what happened to someone being able to choose whether to break the law or not? .
heh............. I like how you phrased that. :D

Hopefully we can get that changed over the development of the next few firmware releases, to where we can choose to self-authorize over all but the most serious of locations. Such as airports, military installations, etc.

Reactions: ClimbrJohn
The reciprocating question would be, "Why would you want to fly over an empty stadium? It's empty!" These
conundrums are exactly what makes Geo-fencing such a hot topic. Obviously, no one making the rules can
see the desire of photographing yourself on your home team's playing field from the air... yet another reason
the system is losing popularity so quickly... What started out as being promoted as 'sensible' quickly goes south
when the paranoid, 'what if' crowd starts letting its imagination run wild, and adds NFZs with reckless abandon.

Pretty crazy. There is no chance that an idiot can fly over a stadium any more. Because nobody ever did that before.

I'm not following you, sorry. Can you explain that a little better? But back to the stadium, it isn't like an airport where danger could present itself every minute or second even, but its scheduled events that are like 2% of the entire year's time.

Also, these NFZs, can you fly into them if you take off outside of them?
With the geofence system, as long as it works as advertised, will allow you to gain access to some areas by using something to identify yourself in case you get up to any shenanigans.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

There may be commercial cases where permission is granted to a company to fly in and around a populated stadium. In those cases the system as stated by DJi's head honcho lawyer will allow you to fly the drone as long as you request the override through the GO App. There are many other cases where this could apply. The thing is DJi will now know through the override, it all gets logged, that you requested the override either right before flight or a few hours before. You are then responsible and accountable for your actions.

I think it's funny how they have all of these regulations on a 3lb drone that has never seriously hurt anyone but yet you can still drive a 3000lb car 160mph if you want.

Reactions: ClimbrJohn

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20