Stability with payload

Reaction score
Hello,

I am designing an air sampling device that needs to fly about 2km away from the operator, take an air sample and then bring it back. The air will be sampled with an on-board pump that will pump the air into a bag.

The Phantom 4 seems suitable for the job and I think the pump and bag will weigh in under the 460g payload capacity. However, I am concerned that the extra drag from the bag and pump underneath the drone's body would cause it to become unstable. The pump is not much bigger than the built-in camera but the bag will be about 1 litre in volume. It may also reduce the flying time enough that it can't make a whole journey.

I welcome an opinion from experienced Phantom pilots or anyone who's tried something similar. Do you think a 1 litre bag and small pump underneath the drone would affect the stability too much?

Thanks,
Dom.

i should probably be fine. there might be a small difference in stability but it should be good. i guess you dont know until you try. just do a short range test to make sure it works ok.

Hi there.
Indeed the extra weight and the shape of the plastic bag while is pumped by air will cause the drone more battery consuming but not making the drone too much unstable. If the pilot is experienced it's not impossible job.
Give it an experimentally try.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Thanks for your replies.

Unfortunately none of the pilots are experienced and we don't have the drone yet. We were planning to use autonomous flying for a pre-planned route. Would stability be more likely an issue in this mode?

It will it not be unstable but may seem sluggish. The onboard systems will maintain stability at the cost of flight time. Just distribute added weight as close to center as possible.

Yes it's correct. To keep the extra load centered will help much, I've seen few clips on YouTube as people try to release payloads, also some load some external batteries for flying longer, some lift plastic water bottles, all worked well.
If I say good pilots I mean the ones who can take the drone to the destination more better otherwise I am sure the P4 is able to do what you said and will carry that half kg. No doubt!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20