Spring return on throttle.

Reaction score
As I understand it, with the Naza M firmware 3.12 a return spring can be added to the throttle to allow it to return to the hover mode. Has anyone made this mod on their transmitter yet?

DaveT1 said:
As I understand it, with the Naza M firmware 3.12 a return spring can be added to the throttle to allow it to return to the hover mode. Has anyone made this mod on their transmitter yet?

New transmitters being sold by DJI have spring loaded throttles
one person I've read has altered his T8J to behave the same way.
But I'm unaware if there's a way to alter the original Phantom Tx to be spring loaded (tho think a few have tried rubber bands on the outside)

There is one available on shapeways, or go into a hobby shop and see if the have the piece required, if anyone has a faulty control, the piece on the right joystick to return that to centre will do the job.

I've just received the Shapeways part, a tiny plastic lever by MaikelsDesign:

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/maikelsdesign

You have to provide your own tiny extension spring -- and finding a spring that matches the one in the stock Phantom TX is not easy. I finally tracked down a spring that may or may not work but it hasn't been delivered yet. Also, the spring I ordered is 36 inches long, so if I can cut a small section out and install it successfully, I'll have enough left over to open my own spring shop ;)

Gearloose,

Let us know how your spring experiment goes. Perhaps you could start a spring upgrade store... :)

Even though I have six feet of springs on order I decided to visit local hardware stores today, just in case....

Lo and behold, I came across a display of Century Springs (they sell online but with a minimum order of $40.00). For $2 I got two springs, "C-1", the smallest size on the display. The specs are:

1/8 inch by 1-1/2 inches by .015

This is very close to the specifications for the Phantom's own spring, though the Century is quite a bit longer.

I counted approximately 15 turns of the 1.5 inch spring and clipped it with wire cutters. With needle-nose pliers I then twisted a loop into the cut end.

It took some doing to get the spring installed. My breakthrough came when I gripped the spring with a pair of bent needle-nose pliers, which allowed me to stretch the spring and position the end loop over the little plastic stub. (This will hopefully make more sense once you delve into the innards of the throttle mechanism yourself.)

It works! The tension on the throttle lever is stronger than the other stick but that doesn't bother me. In fact, it may well prove to be an advantage as I think it will be easier to make smooth throttle adjustments, rather than the fits, jerks, and sudden hops I tend to make, especially when I'm in a nervous situation with the Phantom.

As for that incoming order, who needs a chunk of spring? :)

I would grab some, tho probably cheaper for me to go to the hardware shop locally.
Did you take any pics of your work. I can understand your description, but pics would still make the whole conversion easier for anyone :)

No, I'm afraid that I didn't take photos, mainly because I wasn't optimistic about the chances for success.

My suggestion for anyone interested in doing this is to open up the radio and carefully compare the throttle mechanism to the other one. I had to use a bright headlamp in order to see the tiny black plastic nub that will anchor the spring.

There are 3 steps once you are ready:

1. Align the tiny hole on the Shapeways lever with the metal pin on the throttle housing and push the lever into place. This is easy.
2. Put one loop of your extension spring over the narrow end of the lever, into the little retaining groove. This will leave the spring dangling downward, with the end-loop in the vicinity of the black plastic nub that protrudes from the inside of the throttle housing. This nub is small and isn't easy to see.
3. Stretch the spring downward so you can position the loop over the plastic nub. This is the tricky part -- I grasped the spring above the lower loop with a pair of bent needle-nose pliers. In this way I could stretch the spring while maneuvering the loop into position.

That's it -- button up the radio and you're done.

Just before dark today it quit raining and I was finally able to make a test flight.

What a tremendous improvement! I know that experienced pilots scoff but for this noobie, having a throttle that auto-centers made flying the Phantom much much easier, as well as a lot more fun. No more sudden plunges when I try to make yaw maneuvers, no more dizzying dips and startling ascents. I was able to achieve very solid hovers at any altitude, which in turn allowed me to make very slow panning turns.

Since my interest in the Phantom is primarily for photography, I think the centered throttle is a no-brainer!

If you can't find a spring, PM me your postal address.

Don't want to knock your hard work but apparently DJI will be releasing a spring kit to fit to the other radios by the end of this month! Still at least you have yours now! ;)

Would this be the long-awaited, highly anticipated, soon available to be pre-ordered ZenSpringMuse kit?

I finally got a break in the weather today that was long enough to make several full flights with the spring-loaded throttle. Love it!

I made one out of plastic and old transmitter spring worked great, but i took it off,, and just tightened up the tension bar a bit, just kinda old school like to be in control of my phantom.

Maybe it goes with the "free" vibration free props talked about at NAB?

Yes, I am a cynic.

D

Many are interested in getting that spring! If anyone can find the source please post!

I just made my own! Anyone remember taking apart their pens in high school?

If you need more hints please advise!

Btw these were not the old liquid ink pens (that dripped liquid ink if you took out the plastic cartridge filled with a watery liquid) you used for learning how to write! These are the ones that go click when you push the non writing end. If you need pics let me know.

I went ahead and order one from Shapeways rather than wait for DJI to get around to putting one out! As long as it works... :)

Slugger

I don't get it, why is this necessary?? Confused.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

pen-spring.jpg

Almost any spring will work, but you need the lever control from shapeways. This is only for getting the spring which they don't include. When you open the pen, compare the size to the one on the other lever. Cut the spring to match the size and flip up the last loop so it can grasp the arm. I put a bit of glue on the arm where it touches the spring, as I didn't want it to fall off inside the transmitter and short out the system. The notch they cut in the shapeway lever is not very pronounced so I figured a dab of glue would prevent any problems.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20