Spreading Wings s1000

Reaction score
I am interested in buying the Spreading Wings s1000 to start up a pro aerial video company in my area. However, none of the authorized dealers are very clear on what comes in the box vs. what you need for it to be ready to fly. Do I need to buy a transmitter to fly it? Or does one come with it? Do I need a separate transmitter for the Zenmuse? Does it come with batteries? Can I use my Boscam 32Ch 5.8G 600mw with it? Any other things I need to make it ready to fly...?

I have never laid eyes on one in the box myself, but here goes...

Unless you buy it as a dealer-prepared package, you'll need your own tx. If you buy it with an A2 (make sure you know what flight controller is included, if any) it will have it's own dsm rx and should have enough channels for the gimbal (I think). It doesn't come with batteries in stock form. The best place to start is probably one of the many unboxing and installation videos people have posted online, that'll show you what to expect in the box.

The basic S1000 kit includes the airframe, the props, the motors and the ESC's. You will need to add (at the least):

-Flight Controller. NAZA, Wookong, A2, or a non-DJI option such as Pixhawk.
-Transmitter and receiver for flight. If you use the A2 flight controller, it has a receiver built in that will bind with several Futaba transmitters/controllers
-Batteries, and more batteries

If you use one of the Zenmuse Z15 gimbals for larger cameras you will probably want a 2nd Controller/Receiver just for that (which is how they're designed to be used).

You should have a video broadcast solution too so you or the camera operator can see the frame, either a standard FPV setup like are used on Phantoms etc, or you might want to consider DJI's Lightbridge...though that would limit your options for flight controllers.

Beyond that a dedicated videography rig doesn't need much gear. However I would suggest getting a smaller (and much less expensive) hex or quad to practice flying with if you haven't already, before you first put all this investment in the air.

OI Photography said:
-Flight Controller. NAZA, Wookong, A2

Which of these is most like the Phantom 2 Vision+ in NAZA mode? Specifically, I want GPS, Atti, Return-To-Home, course lock, and home lock.

The A2 seems to have these, but I can't find much detail about the NAZA controllers.

Thanks.

InterMurph said:
OI Photography said:
-Flight Controller. NAZA, Wookong, A2

Which of these is most like the Phantom 2 Vision+ in NAZA mode? Specifically, I want GPS, Atti, Return-To-Home, course lock, and home lock.

The A2 seems to have these, but I can't find much detail about the NAZA controllers.

Thanks.

All DJI multirotor flight controllers (NAZA v2, WKM, A2) use the same setup logic for flight controls and those basic features (GPS, ATTI, RTH, CL, HL). are present in all of them as well. The only exception is the basic NAZA lite w/o GPS.

So why are there three different types (A2, Wookong-M, and NAZA-M)? I can't find a page on the DJI web site that compares the features of the three.

My long-term goal is to upgrade from my Phantom 2 VIsion+ to an S1000 with a Panasonic GH4 (and the new GH4 gimbal they just announced). I am having a hard time figuring out which flight controller would be best for such a rig.

Thanks.

Edit: Here's a clue on the B&H page for the Zenmuse gimbal for the GH3:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... imbal.html

"For A2 and WooKong-M Flight Controllers"

The main differences between Naza and Wookong/A2 is accuracy of position hold. My A2 is so precise it's unbelievable. It makes the P2 feel sloppy in comparison.
There are also features such as POI registration that you don't get on the Naza (the ability to register a point from the tx and have the craft circle it). You also need the Wookong or A2 to use the big Zenmuse gimbals. They don't work with the Naza and as you will definitely be using one of them (if you're doing video there's nothing better than the Zenmuse and you're wasting your money buying anything cheaper) you have to buy Wookong or A2.

However, beware of the A2. It's had a lot of teething troubles which still seem to be ongoing. Although I've had no issues with mine at all, other have had some serious problems. No one is really sure what the cause is but there does seem to be some evidence pointing the built in Futaba receiver or using it with directly attached Spektrum satellites. I use FrSky with an S-Bus receiver and have had no problems with mine other than a yaw issue that was fixed in FW 2.3.

If you are risk averse, go for a Wookong. Most pro operators know and love the Wookong and most of it's early issues have been ironed out.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl