Spot Gen3 GPS Tracker ok for Phantoms?

Reaction score
I have an old Spot Gen3 Satellite GPS tracker, it weighs less than 4oz. Is it ok to attach to my Phantom 3 in case of a flyaway? If so, got an advice on mounting it without throwing off the drone's balance?

I have some experience with SPOT devices. In areas where there is good cellular network coverage I would advise against using a SPOT and pick one of the various cellular-based solutions instead. There are a number of reasons for this, but probably the easiest to explain is that the SPOT needs a clear view of the sky to work properly. That means if you land your bird upside-down you've at best got a dot on your map that's several minutes old. A lot can happen in a couple of minutes. Cellular solutions aren't necessarily confined in that manner.

If you're flying in remote areas without cellular coverage, it's probably your best option, but with the same limitation.

Reactions: RodC
Thanks for the reply. Where im at now is very rural and hilly. Cell signal is spotty and likely wouldn't be present in areas it is likely to go down in. Seems spot is the safest bet, I was just worried if it might interfere with the drone and cause a flyaway.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj