Sports footage under floodlights

Reaction score
I'm going to be shooting video and stills of touch rugby tonight under floodlights.
Any recommendations for settings I ought to be using? Quite new to it all.
Thx

Without trying to unduly dampen your enthusiasm I would say, particularity given you are "new to it all", don't do it.

I don't know where you are but in most jurisdictions flying over sports fields while they are in use is contrary to hobbyist UAV guidlines. In general it's not a very smart thing to do, the risks, however slight, are too great.

Reactions: Numone
I agree with WTB. That's not a good idea from a safety perspective, especially as you're, as you say "quite new to it all" and from a legal perspective, its certainly against the CAA rules here in the U.K.

The drone is a breeze to fly, that's not my point I was enquiring about setting for footage! I'm new to trying to do the filming!

Slight modification to my point, you shouldn't do it because you should know what can go wrong if you have a hardware/software issue with the AC. It's all great fun until someone gets hurt.

Reactions: Loz
It is completely illegal to fly over crowds that are not participating in your operation and if you are not labeled as a commercial pilot then you are filming the game illegally if you're getting paid. Another fact is with the floodlights, it is illegal to fly 30 minutes after the sun goes down without a waiver even in lighted areas (and if you did you need night lights that are viewable from 3 miles away).

Reactions: HarleyKen
Just to add onto this above if he is in thr United States^ The FAA defines "participants" as crew members only. Think Visual Observer, PIC, etc. Everybody needs a waiver to actually fly over the heads of anybody that is not in their working crew.

In other words, every adult or parent attending your rugby game could sign a waiver stating they know youre there, and theyre okay with you being there flying over them...but yet that would still not satisfy the FAA.

You need to make sure you stay off to the side if you want to do this.

Seeing how this was 2 days ago, how did it go? Did you attampt?

I was asked recently to do something similar and turned it down. I would have stayed off to the side of course but just didn't trust flying under lights at night. Glare bothers me a lot and I could see potential problems with that scenario.

Geo

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31