Split or segmented videos on micro Sd card?

Reaction score
Ok, what am I missing? I have noticed that my HD videos 1080P/60fps are being divided up on the micro SD card. I will have a 16-17 minute video that gets split between 2 files, the first is always 4.2GB and the second is the remainder of the flight usually 400-550MB. Is there a setting I am missing

When you format your memory card with the DJI GO app (the best way), the video file will be split each time it reaches 4GB. So, a 12GB video will result in 3 separate video files.

I dont think there is a way to make it save as one big file per video. So there are no settings to change that, that I know of.

Okay so everyone is having this same issue. This is a 32GB card that has been formatted by the Go app, I take it that it has done so in 8-4GB segments correct?

The videos will save as a single file if the memory card is formatted to exFAT format. You'd have to do that in a computer though. I'm not sure if the P3 would be able to recognize the memory card in that format. It would not hurt to test it out though :)

I will try and format in in Fat32 to see what happens, I think I did this the first few videos and they were not segmented.

The DJI GO app formats the memory card in FAT32 format. FAT32 has a max file size of 4 GB. You'll need to try exFAT format.

Gotcha, showing my ignorance thanks for the input. Will try the exFat option.

Hey guys this is another new p3 pro user.
I have a p3 pro which I updated with the last firmware update 2 days ago.
I am facing a problem that maybe someone could pass an available help that would be highly appreciated.
I have 2 micro sd cards. One is 16GB and the other is a 4 which is slower.
The problem is that when I try to upload my video and foto stills by using an sd card usb stick i get a message that the card needs formatting and I cannot open it in windows 7. The same with both sd cards. Every time before I use the card at the p3 I format it at the drone just before i start my flight. I am realy puzzled of what can be going wrong.

Help please!

I think exfat will only work on 64gb cards and above - it wont work on smaller cards - I THINK!!!
Since we all guess pretty much whats happening with all those P3 birds, what you think might be right.
I face a different problem each time I use the sd cards and i download the contents into my laptop computer win7 I have to format the sd card before I reuse it in the p3.
Is that normal?

It could be down to the adapter you are using.
I only have the standard 16gb card at the moment - I just cut and paste on my windows 7 laptop. Sometimes I reformat but it never asks me to.
I have tried formatting my 32gb card as exfat and it wont let me either - I saw somewhere it must be a 64gb card or bigger.

Yep you are right Wibble.
The 64s are the exfat ones. The rest that are smaller can only work on fat32.
I am puzzled though because my 16 gb and a 64gb sd cards both new ones, I have to format them almost everytime i try to download to my pc. My pc smetimes cannot read whats in the sdcard .. Strange..and i loose my videos like this since i have to reformat the card. It happened to me twice yesterday.
This started to happen after i have updated the p3 on the last firmware update.
I didnt have these issues with the previous firmware.
Did you upgraded your firmware or you are one of the lucky ones that didnt upgraded yet?
Cheers and thanks for the help!

My **** phone upgraded itself but I havent upgraded the phantom yet!

Try write protecting the adapter before you put it into your PC - then just copy the files over - see if that makes a difference.

Ok, what am I missing? I have noticed that my HD videos 1080P/60fps are being divided up on the micro SD card. I will have a 16-17 minute video that gets split between 2 files, the first is always 4.2GB and the second is the remainder of the flight usually 400-550MB. Is there a setting I am missing

Since your original question has already been adequately answered (FAT32 has a 4GB file system size limit) I can't help but ask; have you considered stopping the video until you are ready to film something then recording just that clip then stopping the video again? I would hate to have to deal with 16-17 minutes worth of video, most of my aerial clips are less than a min long and I stitch them together in post.

A straight 16-17min video probably has about 3min of useful footage if you are lucky so recording clips vs one huge video is a lot more efficient.

Hey guys this is another new p3 pro user.
I have a p3 pro which I updated with the last firmware update 2 days ago.
I am facing a problem that maybe someone could pass an available help that would be highly appreciated.
I have 2 micro sd cards. One is 16GB and the other is a 4 which is slower.
The problem is that when I try to upload my video and foto stills by using an sd card usb stick i get a message that the card needs formatting and I cannot open it in windows 7. The same with both sd cards. Every time before I use the card at the p3 I format it at the drone just before i start my flight. I am realy puzzled of what can be going wrong.

Help please!
Are they class 10 cards? I have never had that problem with high quality class 10 cards. When I used my P2 and GoPro initially I had major problems because I used some SD cards that I happened to have on hand; half my videos were corrupt. I switched to class 10 cards and haven't had the problem since.

One reason to shoot long clips is that you might be speeding it up as part of editing. A 15 minute flight sped up 5x or whatever can be pretty cool. I tried exFat on a 32GB card and it didn't work. The older DJI Pilot app didn't like it (displayed an error in Chinese) and didn't show time/shots remaining (although it could save video to it). With a newer version of the Pilot app, the on screen error message was at least in English but it still didn't work completely. I don't have a micro 64 to test and haven't tried the Go app yet.

One reason to shoot long clips is that you might be speeding it up as part of editing. A 15 minute flight sped up 5x or whatever can be pretty cool. I tried exFat on a 32GB card and it didn't work. The older DJI Pilot app didn't like it (displayed an error in Chinese) and didn't show time/shots remaining (although it could save video to it). With a newer version of the Pilot app, the on screen error message was at least in English but it still didn't work completely. I don't have a micro 64 to test and haven't tried the Go app yet.

That is definitely one use case, another is when you are filming an event and you never know when something worth filming might happen. I just threw out the clip idea because a lot of new users think the video recorder needs to be on the whole time the quad is in the air. For me its the last thing I turn on and the first thing I turn off to save time in post.

I have a similar problem (videos break in 2 pieces at 3.92 gb.)
However, I'm using a 64 gig card and it IS formatted in Ex-fat by my P3P.
Any idea why it's still breaking the files?
I record every second in the sky (unless I'm taking stills). I like to see it all and keep the best parts. My luck, if I pause it, it will crash or a UFO will fly by or something. Also it's annoying when it starts a be file it misses part of the recording and even when I blend them together in post, it's noticeable.

I have a similar problem (videos break in 2 pieces at 3.92 gb.)
However, I'm using a 64 gig card and it IS formatted in Ex-fat by my P3P.
Any idea why it's still breaking the files?
I record every second in the sky (unless I'm taking stills). I like to see it all and keep the best parts. My luck, if I pause it, it will crash or a UFO will fly by or something. Also it's annoying when it starts a be file it misses part of the recording and even when I blend them together in post, it's noticeable.
I assume by now that you've read this or one of the many other similar threads and you have your answer. Just in case though, the P3 splits video files at 4GB. There are no workarounds regardless of formatting as either FAT32 or exFAT. The P3 will still split video files at 4GB even though the exFat format itself allows larger files.

Cheers sir!

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrewandron

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik