Splash Drone and P3A

That's pretty cool; the Splash drone was what I was initially going to go with before doing extensive research between it, the Solo and the Phantom 3 Pro, before finally deciding on the P3P. After seeing this comparison I certainly can say that I made the right choice! The waterproof feature is very compelling, however.

Love the video and editing. That Splash Drone was all over with the wind but the phantom appears near rock solid stable. I like when there is more than one drone flying and then you can edit the videos together like that.
Good work.

To be fair... It was super windy that day. There's an image in that video of mine at an almost 45 degree angle fighting the wind.

Yeah, I was deciding between the P3A, the Solo, and the Chroma before I decided to go with the Phantom. I knew about the Splash Drone, but thought it was just too new to spend over 1200 bucks on. He flew mine and really liked it, but he is BIG into sailing, and thought it would really make sense for him to go with something completely waterproof so he went with the Splash Drone. They told him that if he wasn't happy with it, he has 2 months to return it, as long as it was in one piece still...

He is having some minor problems with it, the same type of problems that I'm sure people had when they bought their first Phantom 1, but he is working through some of the problems...
It isn't as stable as the Phantom, is heavier, the radio is more complicated, doesn't get very good video range with it, there's an antenna blocking the video monitor (WTF!). It's difficult to change batteries, difficult to view telemetry, the arms come into camera view a lot, has some sort of problem jumping up and down like 3 feet both ways while hovering, and has nothing even close to the DJI GO app.
He even asked the owner before he bought it, how the Splash Drone software was compared to DJI GO, and the owner said there was no comparing the two. DJI was so much better. Even he liked flying the Phantom better... But it wasn't waterproof.

But... my brother has crash landed his, or into something, probably 10 times so far, (two that day) and he hasn't even broke a prop! I watched it wander into a tree and it just cut off the branches, then he flew it away from it. Those CF props are nice!

...and it's completely waterproof, so I think he's going to keep it. He does keep asking me what my thoughts are about taking everything out of a P3 and putting it inside of a Splash Drone body... I keep telling him it's beyond me, but probably possible.

It's approaching his 2 month time limit to return, but I think he's going to keep it. He's excited to get some cool sailboat racing shots with it!
I'm excited that he won't ask me to take those shots... with mine!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1