Speed error, compass error and crash.

Reaction score
Hi.

While going through some camera settings i had the drone hovering about 1m Above ground. I did not touch the controls so the issue is not the cause of bad piloting. While hovering i got "compass error" and then it took of sideways really fast. It was about to hit a wall so i tried to set it down straight. But due to the speed it tilted, props touched the ground and then it flipped upside down. It was dancing around there for a second before i managed to shut it down. Props are damaged but the drone looks aldright. Lucky me i guess...

Uploaded flight log and could see that a "speed error" warning has been recorded just before it got freaky. Any suggestions to what caused the speed error and what it means? Another good question is why it after later getting "compass error" took off at full speed?!?!

Sad day and as i've said before. I'm loosing fate in this product. Had so many weird things happening to it so i dont even get worked up about it any more. Clearly the tech is not good enough yet...

Were you flying low over or near large metal objects?
Buildings but nothing specifically metallic. Had the compass issue before when flying amongst buildings but that usually goes away when moving the drone. The weird thing this time was that the drone didn't move at all. I didn't fly it in to an area where there was disturbance. Then the warnings came up and the drone took off sideways on its own. Full speed. My problem is not how the Compass can get interference. More what caused the speed error while not moving and why it took off?!?!?

I'm not an expert but it looks like you had some sort of GPS problem. You dropped from 10 to 7 satellites in a fifth of a second. Why? It's possible the craft re-calculated its location and then tried to move to where it thought it should be but I'm not sure why it would move at 30 mph. The compass error may have been because the craft was upside down and spinning around...

Buildings but nothing specifically metallic. Had the compass issue before when flying amongst buildings but that usually goes away when moving the drone. The weird thing this time was that the drone didn't move at all. I didn't fly it in to an area where there was disturbance. Then the warnings came up and the drone took off sideways on its own. Full speed. My problem is not how the Compass can get interference. More what caused the speed error while not moving and why it took off?!?!?
Why lose faith in the Phantom? You said yourself that the location was problematic before with compass errors...so why keep flying there. If you don't listen to your aircraft then I'd say that's on you not DJI.

What dealer who sold me Phantom 3P few days ago said is that before every flight it is good to check compass sensor readings. So maximum reading for safe flight is under 1700-1750, anything above that can cause problems. One more thing is that Phantom will show compass error only at 2000 and above, which means there is no warning between 1750 and 2000, but it still is not a good idea to take off.

What dealer who sold me Phantom 3P few days ago said is that before every flight it is good to check compass sensor readings. So maximum reading for safe flight is under 1700-1750, anything above that can cause problems. One more thing is that Phantom will show compass error only at 2000 and above, which means there is no warning between 1750 and 2000, but it still is not a good idea to take off.
Didn't look at the compass figures but with the red warning on you can't even take off. It won't even fire up the engines if that happens. This was not the case here as it happened while in the air.

Why lose faith in the Phantom? You said yourself that the location was problematic before with compass errors...so why keep flying there. If you don't listen to your aircraft then I'd say that's on you not DJI.
No problem at this specific location. I just meant that you can get all sorts of weird warnings an even get screen disconnection when being between buildings. And there was no warning prior to the warning comming on while hovering and then it just took off sideways...

I'm not an expert but it looks like you had some sort of GPS problem. You dropped from 10 to 7 satellites in a fifth of a second. Why? It's possible the craft re-calculated its location and then tried to move to where it thought it should be but I'm not sure why it would move at 30 mph. The compass error may have been because the craft was upside down and spinning around...
Thats what I'm thinking. That it thought it was navigating to the right position. But at that speed?!? Right...

Never had the warning "speed error" before. What this is and why it came up at all is basically my only question here. I did not have any warnings when taking off and didn't even touch the controls. I didn't even see any speed warning on the screen. Only thing I did notice was the compass warning, I then looked up and saw it take off full speed sideways. My reaction from that point was pure instinct and the only thing i could come up with was "DOWN", hence full throttle down instead of a smooth landing. Would have crashed anyway because it was heading straight to a wall.

Compass error came first, then it took off. Flipped over because it landed in an angle..

You was pretty low, was you hovering over concrete. (Rebar)
No. Just had it low to warm up. Wanting the fall to be short if something happens. Good thinking as it seems...

The reason for why I'm doing that is because I've been having soooooo many weird things happen in the past just after take off. Mostly that my screen disconnects and then I need to reboot, un plug and plug in again. So I want it close. This is another issue and I don't even care anymore. I just accepted that the phantom isn't better then this. No idea to send it in because it is very sporadic. They would probably do one or two tests they would sendo it back saying it was OK...

No problem at this specific location. I just meant that you can get all sorts of weird warnings an even get screen disconnection when being between buildings. And there was no warning prior to the warning comming on while hovering and then it just took off sideways...

screen disconnection when between building is NOT a weird warning event....

wifi is radio--- radio need line of site and also will "bounce" off structures and cause issues

also if you are close to the quad it can(wifi) drop out... usually if you are further away it will not.
even if at home shut down home router temp so not getting interference

being near a paper towel holder was enough to show compass error , moved it away 6 inches and cleared

I'd send a direct message to 'PhantomHelp' to get his/her take on this.

No. Just had it low to warm up. Wanting the fall to be short if something happens. Good thinking as it seems...

The reason for why I'm doing that is because I've been having soooooo many weird things happen in the past just after take off. Mostly that my screen disconnects and then I need to reboot, un plug and plug in again. So I want it close. This is another issue and I don't even care anymore. I just accepted that the phantom isn't better then this. No idea to send it in because it is very sporadic. They would probably do one or two tests they would sendo it back saying it was OK...
Hi, Did you solve your problem?
I lost my P3A 2 days ago and speed error message is there.
Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
this is my log and dont know where the drone is.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj