South west Florida

Reaction score
Hey in south west Florida mainly Cape Coral to fort Myers area looking to possibly meet others flying around this area.

Shoot.
A little too much south for me.
I'm up here in the Englewood area, (Rotonda West - 33947)
-
Fly safe-
-
David

Hey in south west Florida mainly Cape Coral to fort Myers area looking to possibly meet others flying around this area.
Hi,

I just purchased a P3A and am new to the hobby and live in Punta Gorda. Have you found other pilots in the area? Where have you been flying? Would like to meet up with other pilots in the area and hopefully learn from their experience. Thanks.

Barry

Hi,

I just purchased a P3A and am new to the hobby and live in Punta Gorda. Have you found other pilots in the area? Where have you been flying? Would like to meet up with other pilots in the area and hopefully learn from their experience. Thanks.

Barry
Hi Barry
I just got a P3P and am flying it in North Port.
Phil

I'm in the Fort Myers area. Know any good places around to get great views?

Well it turns out that although it's not posted on any sign I've seen or flyer I've read, Lee county public parks are a "no drone zone." Also apparently everyone flying kites and balloons at the beach are breaking the law.

The public servant who gave me this conveniently ready paper told me it was to keep kids safe if it were to fall out of the sky and also incase there was a sudden Medevac situation.

So where can you fly? btw I was on a remote spat of beach about 50m from the nearest person and flying over empty water.
Screen Shot 2016-02-11 at 10.15.07.png

Soo cute. I wonder if that iconic design was borrowed from the internet or if it was actually created on photoshop. Was that a full size sheet of paper? Or are we cutting paper in half to cut down on expenses these days? Do you vote sir? Who is Department? What device does this common thing called a drone do? Who and where is the director? Where is the rest of the Ordinance(s) 06-26? What authority does 9 8 AVIATION hold? What is the title and position of the public servant? Who is the author of this flyer? Is there a penalty? Where does the tax money come from to pay for that paper and that public servant walking the park and what in the hell is all this waste about? Where and when would you like me to talk to you about this - after I'm done flying responsibly, sir?...and its fine with me if you want to pick an office, a court or maybe you can just stand right there until I'm done entertaining myself before I make time to entertain you or until I just go home. You can even write down the time, date and place if you choose.
Why would someone interrupt a FAA registered pilot during safe operation - especially if there are no kids around? I appreciate the county-emblem-free note of caution but my FAA registration card is in my pocket - and their Federal emblem is bigger than your non-county-emblem, non-welcoming, un-neighborly, waste of money and most of all my time you have so wonderfully printed for me today and I really wish you'd sit tight for me to pull it out to have a chat, sir. Don't you have something to do, sir? YOU might be able to afford a cool toy like mine, too, if you'd reach for the stars, finish school and find some work where you don't have to walk around a park handing out flyers to responsible flying taxpayers trying to safely enjoy the coolest toy ever. Say, where are you from anyway? LEE County?!? Is that that in Florida? Did Florida legislation take over the whole Federal Aviation Administration? Or just today's air over my head right now? Where are you from again? LEE County, Florida?

I'm not an attorney, but doesn't that say no person can launch or land from park property. It says nothing about the airspace.

image.jpeg
Some additional comments and clarification on my initial posting: naturally I did look up this ordinance and it is really on the books for my county so as best as I can determine, the uber conservative nature of SWFL, working synergistically with their lack of understanding of a new technology, has dictated that essentially anywhere with a Lee county parking meter is a no no. When I said "public servant" I was being sarcastic. It was a regular citizen from (I can only assume) a neighboring business who has definitely done this before and has used the official FAA symbology on a half sheet of paper found here: No Drone Zone Technically I did launch from an unoccupied section of parking lot over "no parking" white lines so that in the event of RTH it wouldn't land on a freshly parked car, but again, it was a cold windy day and I took reasonable precautions to avoid any people. Finally, there's nothing to prevent me from walking up the beach and out of arbitrary park boundaries and flying wherever I like within limits

A word of caution: I will absolutely be using a spotter next time on the beach. I was buzzed by a tour helicopter skimming the shoreline well below the 120m of my max altitude. I didn't hear it coming with the wind, and thankfully by chance, I was flying lower and not in its flight path at the time. Very scary.

Last edited:
Hey PJ & LK8472, As PJ noted regarding that cute note, there is no reference to flying - just launch/land. And thanks for that link to the FAA signkits. That is legit; however, even the FAA refers to these kits as "educational". It's obvious to me that this note was created by a non-legal person. I'd be willing to bet there was/is an underlying motivation. Further, I can guarantee that this little act will be played out in a much more formal way at some point in the not-to-distant future. As we all know, there are many levels of judicial authority in our land. Even a rule created by your neighbor within the charter/bylaws of a HOA (Homeowner's Association) can be challenged and immediately erased at a neighborhood meeting. I'm not saying I'd be rude; likewise, I'm not saying that this ordinance has no merit. I just couldn't help but to obliterate the action(s) of that citizen. So all I was saying was that I personally would have had a different (short but respectful) conversation with that person as I was flying safely. And thanks for that beautiful pic! Looks awesome, LK. Fly safe.

just found this out too after calling a local FL state park. So this applies to ALL STATE PARKS IN FLORIDA!

62D-2.014 : Activities and Recreation - Florida Administrative Rules, Law, Code, Register - FAC, FAR, eRulemaking

Same rule restricting take-off and landings not being allowed in park boundaries with an incredible distinction that seemingly it could be allowed in a designated area. I don't know what parks have such designated areas or if any exist at all but it's something you could potentially talk about with a ranger ahead of time and arrange. I was weary about possibly disturbing nesting birds and would understand if a request was denied but it seems within reason.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub