Sorry...A N00B FPV question

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

I'm sorry to be "that guy" and I did read around the forums, but I'm a wee bit confused about something and wondered if anyone can help.

So, I have bought the Phantom 2 (non vision) with the zenmuse gimbal. I have a Hero3+ Black...What I am wanting to do is to view the video Live as it records on the GoPro.

The thing I am a bit confused about is the whole Iosd Mini, the bluetooth module and these other video transmiter things I've seen.

I'm not really fussed about having telemetry or anything like that, I'd just like to be able to see what the camera is filming at the time. Now the website I bought it from (in the UK) suggested I buy the iOSD mini adaptor, but am I right in thinking that that wouldnt send down a video link?

Ideally, I'd like to view the footage on an Iphone, failing that I do have an old Lilliput Field monitor knocking around I could hook up a feed into.

Sorry if this all sounds like babble, I am literally taking delivery of the P2 tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for any help

If you really don't need telemetry data then the iOSD mini isn't necessary...but it's about the best option available for keeping an eye on your battery level and the strength of your GPS lock.

To add the ability to see your gopro's video in real time, the simplest solution would be to use DJI's own AVL58 video transmitter/receiver package. No soldering will be required, and you can just connect the ground receiver in the kit to the monitor you already have.

This is the AVL58: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/9 ... o_kit.html

This is the part (hub) you'll need to get to plug-n-play with no soldering: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... &A=details

Cheers buddy. I did think it was that thing, but it looked bigger that I thought it should have!

Just watched a couple of videos and rethinking it...that telemetry stuff does look quite good. I liked the home point marker that I saw on one of the videos.

Again, probably a stupid question...but adding the video downlink, and then the iosd mini does this not all start to weigh the P2 down? Or am I thinking it weighs more than it does

You're absolutely right that every bit of weight on the Phantom matters and affects your total flight time. Fortunately the P2 is designed to still stay in the air a good while with a few components like these attached/installed, but you'll still want to be conscious of the potential impact of anything you add...and there is a limit to how much you can pack on.

The AVL58 and iOSD won't add so much weight to your setup that you'll be over the limit, but I wouldn't try to put much more on after that, and you'll still give up a few minutes of flight time in exchange for the benefits they give. Choose wisely :cool:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik