Something isn't right with the NFZs (big surprise huh?)

Reaction score
Ok, on 1/11/2016, I printed a map from DJI. I am close to an airport so I wanted to know where the NFZ was. On that date MKE had a red disc that extended to 2 blocks south of me and covered areas to the south east. Ok, I figure I will limit myself to my block and north and north west so I don't approach the NFZ. I know where the flight patterns are, so I am planning on staying well away from those.

I took that print home so I could have it with me if there were any questions when I was out flying.

So today, I was chatting with some other employees here about the P3A that should be delivered today. And during the conversation, I hit the DJI map again to show them. But the longer I stared at it the more in disbelief I was. Now (1/19/2016), MKE has a BLUE disc over it that barely covers the airport grounds, let alone out 5mi. Hell, it doesn't even cover the south end of the longest runway at MKE! So I am like WTF?

So does the GO app use the current data as seen on the map on the web or does it use other data?

If its using whats visible on the web, then its completely wrong as it would allow me to fly well into the flight paths if landing and exiting aircraft and I could actually buzz the south end of one of the runways! I won't because I have far more common sense than that. But something is way wrong here.

NFZ-MKE.png

Edit: Fix for image URL

Last edited:
Yes, there are two sets of maps on DJI website: one with blue and red areas, and another one with green, yellow and red areas.
The one that prevents the Copter to arm is the second one (in my experience). You can find that under the "offline unlock" or-something-like-that section of DJI website.
I am not sure what the first set of maps is for though..

Sorry, but thats an F-up in progress. Having multiple data sources is misleading at best and falsely indicates safe fly areas.

I mean if I lived a couple blocks to the south and checked that map to see if I could fly and based my purchase on that information only to find out it was completely FALSE, I would be seriously ticked off. This false data is MISLEADING to customers.

Reactions: ClimbrJohn
I really don't get the whole geofence thing. I can't understand how it's up to them to dictate where their products are flown. It would seem that since they're establishing where one can not fly then they are setting themselves up for a legal battle. If someone flies one of DJI's products into an aircraft while flying in a NFZ that isn't in the DJI NFZ some lawyer would probably jump on this.

I dun-no....I'm no lawyer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

I really don't get the whole geofence thing. I can't understand how it's up to them to dictate where their products are flown. It would seem that since they're establishing where one can not fly then they are setting themselves up for a legal battle. If someone flies one of DJI's products into an aircraft while flying in a NFZ that isn't in the DJI NFZ some lawyer would probably jump on this.

I dun-no....I'm no lawyer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.
They are enforcing current no fly zones, not creating them. So those NFZ already exist. DJI will now be giving you the option to fly in some of those zones.

I really don't want this to get into another geo fencing debate. The original issue still stands and the question remains accurately unanswered from my OP.

This is an issue with properly displaying the NFZs. Not showing a NFZ that barely covers the airport and then having a customer (me) fire up his drone in what appears to be a safe area and have it not operate.

The NFZ in the image above used to cover probably double what it now does and extended far off the top of the map in the screenshot. And, IMHO, it still should. MKE is not a podunk little grass strip with a bunch of yahoo puddle jumpers there. I mean, O'Hare it aint but its big enough for the big jets to come and go all day.

You probably won't hear this very often from a copter owner, but I think that NFZ is too small and a dangerous scenario to be putting on their site! It is misinformation of an epic degree. I almost had my private pilot ticket (changed jobs so I never got to take my final) almost 2 decades ago and I am fully aware not to fly anywhere near that area. But someone who is ignorant of the true scope of the traffic there might be guided by that map and make a deadly decision that could risk not only the future of this hobby but the potential life of those aboard manned aircraft.

I really don't want this to get into another geo fencing debate. The original issue still stands and the question remains accurately unanswered from my OP.

100% agree with you on your shock regarding the extent of the NFZ, and on not wanting another GEO debate.

What i tried to say in post #2 is that if you go on the DJI website, scroll to the bottom and click on GEO you access the maps that copters use to know if they can be armed or not. And your airport sits in a fat yellow zone (which tragically means that you can unlock it, dismiss the warning, and potentially cause damage to people and the hobby).
To be honest, where I live and fly (central France), I only have yellow zones, not blue so I cannot tell you if you can take off in a blue zone or not.
If you can though, I would not have a clue as why they even bother drawing them up...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The map in your OP clearly states it's for the phantom 2 series or older. Not relevant to the NFZ related to GEO.

I was there. Requires a "Verified Account". Haven't done that. Not sure I will. First a CC or Phone #. Then what? Why I checked out via PayPal, no CC shared to China.

Lower down, flight planner. Requires a serial number. Well, you can't have one until you buy their product.

So, now what is a potential customer to use to see if purchasing one would be a good idea or not? The only one on their site that doesn't require registration or a serial. And thats the one with misleading data.

If they are going to enforce NFZs, then they need to stop screwing around and use the SAME DATA on all the maps. No confusion. No misleading info. Its stupid to maintain two distinctly different datasets for the same purpose. Or is it the same purpose? Thats kinda what I am getting at. Are they purposeful putting smaller NFZs on the open map or are they honestly making a mistake?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj