Something is really wrong :(

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to rc stuff and the phantom has been a huge learning experience for me. But I am in need of some serious help. My phantom now matter how many times I calibrate it or the controller will do nothing but wobble out of control when I get it more then 3 feet off the ground. All the engines spin up fine and then I give it some gas and the props spin faster but as soon as I have take off the copter wobbles back and forth out of control.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance for your help and if you need more information please ask for it your help is much appreciated.

terickson4 said:
Hi, I am new to rc stuff and the phantom has been a huge learning experience for me. But I am in need of some serious help. My phantom now matter how many times I calibrate it or the controller will do nothing but wobble out of control when I get it more then 3 feet off the ground. All the engines spin up fine and then I give it some gas and the props spin faster but as soon as I have take off the copter wobbles back and forth out of control.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance for your help and if you need more information please ask for it your help is much appreciated.

Read up on the manual for toilet bowl. See if that will help out. Also by chance have to hooked up to the NAZA from your PC? I accidentally config'ed mine one day to defaults. That made the orientation be in a + instead of X.. A huge no no!!! Made the exact same thing happen to mine. Went back and found the setting. put it back on X and viola was back in the air again without issue.

yes I did hook it up. Where do I find this "That made the orientation be in a + instead of X."

In the software there is a page to select aircraft type or something like that. Make sure you pick 4rotor -x. I made the same mistake and picked just the 4 rotor i and it wobbled as you described until I corrected it back to the x.

I think it would be helpful if you provided more information.

You don't really say if the phantom ever flew correctly. Is this your first attempt at takeoff? If so, where are your switches?
Are you taking off in Atti, GPS, or possibly even manual mode if enabled?
IOC switch should be off if IOC is enabled in the software.
Did you try 'the other' flight mode. In other words, if this happened in GPS mode, did you try Atti mode?
Did you calibrate the compass?
What light sequence are you seeing on start up? Are you waiting for it to properly warm up?
Did you do an ADVANCED IMU calibration. A friend of mine had the same sounding issue and the advanced cal fixed it right up.

Mechanically....did you verify all your props are on correctly? Do the motors have any side to side play in them that would indicate a bearing issue?

Some of this may sound like dumb questions and assuming that you have no experience whatsoever. But your post seems to indicate that you are very inexperienced with the phantom. But really, even if you are experienced, more info is needed.

jdjeff said:
I think it would be helpful if you provided more information.

You don't really say if the phantom ever flew correctly. Is this your first attempt at takeoff? If so, where are your switches?
Are you taking off in Atti, GPS, or possibly even manual mode if enabled?
IOC switch should be off if IOC is enabled in the software.
Did you try 'the other' flight mode. In other words, if this happened in GPS mode, did you try Atti mode?
Did you calibrate the compass?
What light sequence are you seeing on start up? Are you waiting for it to properly warm up?
Did you do an ADVANCED IMU calibration. A friend of mine had the same sounding issue and the advanced cal fixed it right up.

Mechanically....did you verify all your props are on correctly? Do the motors have any side to side play in them that would indicate a bearing issue?

Some of this may sound like dumb questions and assuming that you have no experience whatsoever. But your post seems to indicate that you are very inexperienced with the phantom. But really, even if you are experienced, more info is needed.

I have owned it for about a month and it has been working up until this point.
I have tried in GPS and Atti I dont have manual mode enabled.
I calibrated everything before every flight, I get a green light flashing before the flight no reds or yellows.
I did all the calibrations. The only thing I havent done is throw the magnet out of whack on purpose and then recalibrate it with the magnet again.

The motors seem fine to me and to the hobby shop helicopter guy that I brought it to.

The hobby shop guy has not seen this problem and he tried everything that I tried to fix the problem and nothing. Still does this out of control wobble.

I am inexperienced but not stupid haha I try to solve problems myself first but I'm stuck. No major falls recently. I had one the first week I owned it and it was working perfectly after that.

The only thing that could be thought of between myself and the hobby shop guy is that the brain died somehow.

I havent verified the aircraft type I am going to do that tonight when I get home.

Thanks again for all your help.

Well...don't get me wrong...I wasn't suggesting that you were stupid. But there were alot of unknowns in your original post.

I guess the only thing I left out was the transmitter cal. But you likely checked that.

I'm not sure how your aircraft type could have gotten changed but while your checking things, maybe you can check the receiver type while you're in there. It should be PPM. But if that's wrong, it probably wouldn't even bind up with the transmitter. And maybe you'll get some clues by checking the values in gyroscope, acceleration, compass. Just see if they fall within the spec in the pop up. I would also check if all the switches are activating the correct indications in the assistant.

A buddy of mine had the exact same issue and even though his basic IMU cal showed he did not need a cal, he tried the advanced cal anyway and it flew straight after that.

Have you changed the gains for any reason? IOC enabled? Disable it and see what happens.

Maybe a bad speed controller.

I guess if all else fails do return to factory settings if you haven't tried it already. But I'd write down all the gains before doing that.

Just throwing out some ideas.

insatiable said:
In the software there is a page to select aircraft type or something like that. Make sure you pick 4rotor -x. I made the same mistake and picked just the 4 rotor i and it wobbled as you described until I corrected it back to the x.

You were right! thanks so much for your help it flew perfectly.

Also thank you to everyone who looked at/provided support. Much appreciated love a helpful community.

terickson4 said:
insatiable said:

You were right! thanks so much for your help it flew perfectly.

Also thank you to everyone who looked at/provided support. Much appreciated love a helpful community.

Sorry I didnt get back to you but exactly ... Glad your back in action.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic