Someone's using GoPro wifi for FPV?

Reaction score
Dear friends,
I like to fly and make aerial videos with a Phantom 2 (non Vision!), Zenmuse 3H-2D and GoPro Hero 3+ and of course FPV system, just to know my stuff...
Usually I start recording the video manually, just before the takeoff, but I wonder: is there any contraindication to use the wifi of the GoPro? Sometimes I like to make tests of different settings about resolution (30-60 fps, 2k-1080, protune yes/no, etc...) and it would be quite handy to change all this and stop/restart recording from GoPro remote control or iPhone. Make changements in the GoPro settings when it is hanged to the Zenmuse isn't so confortable...
Also avoid to record every takeoff, that always will be cut when editing the video., could be useful.
So, questions:
1) can the GoPro wifi signal interfere with Phantom radio signal and FPV video signal?
2) what's the range of GoPro wifi signal? It will be lost if the Phantom is 100,200,300 meters far? I guess yes...
(Anyway I wasn't dreaming to control the GoPro from far away, just to change its settings and/or start/stop recording when the Phantom is quite near or even landed...)
Someone of you, more expert than I am, uses the GoPro in-built wifi when flying?
Thanks a lot
Rodolfo Rudel23

Hi there.

I'm waiting for my Zemnuse, so I use wifi every time I fly. No problem so far, but I've read several times that the wifi can take control over the Phantom signal.

Anyway the wifi isn't the best solution, since the distance for me is about 100 meters, and then the signal goes away,
Another weakness is the video lag. About 3 or 4 seconds, in my experience.

Hope this experience helps :)

Paulo

Well thank you, but I wonder: if using the iPhone app, yes, there's a video transimission, but if using the GoPro remote control, that should be only data transmission, no video at all, or this doesn't change the matter?

spanktimonious said:
Rudel23 said:
Well thank you, but I wonder: if using the iPhone app, yes, there's a video transimission, but if using the GoPro remote control, that should be only data transmission, no video at all, or this doesn't change the matter?

Wifi is wifi. Check out the manual.

Well the manual isn't so clear about this matter....it just says (5) Try to avoid interference between the remote controller and other wireless equipment. (No base stations or cell towers around) But I think it is enough to give up any idea to use GoPro wifi...:) Thank you

spanktimonious said:
Rudel23 said:
Well the manual isn't so clear about this matter....it just says (5) Try to avoid interference between the remote controller and other wireless equipment. (No base stations or cell towers around)

The manual is very clear. Page 5:

You're right! I missed this.

Ok What about if you have a Vision (Tx 5.8) and replace the camera with a Zenuse gimbal using a GoPro? Goodluck buy has the USB cable for the gopro and they also sell the same cable used on the vision camera (3mm jack). The only change I see is the plug that plugs onto the circuit board in the Phantom so a little swapping is necessary. You would need to steal the white plug from the jack cable and put it on the gopro usb cable. I am willing to try this, but want to see if anybody has already. I am also wondering if I will still get telemetry using a gopro. That would be the cake right there and that's right you guessed it I'ma eat'n it too.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20