Someone called the cops

• Thread starter Deleted member 37025
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 37025

Today I was flying around my usual spot in Central Park, Chesterfield, Missouri. I was on my 3rd battery when a cop pulled up and asked if that was my drone. He said that someone called to complain that a drone was following them around the park and they wanted something done about it.

First of all:
Yes I was flying around the park at about 200 foot. The park has a big body of water with a walking path that goes around it, the total distance of the trail is probably about a mile long. I usually keep my drone over the water and fly further out away from the path. Yes people are walking around but I completely ignore them, I never EVER fly close or go above someones head.

The cop explained that it is perfectly fine to fly the drone around the park, he just had to follow up because of the call. I showed him the controller with an iPad mini connected and he thought it was amazing. He asked the usual questions, how long will it stay in the air, how much did it cost and WHERE CAN I GET ONE? He watched the screen for a while and I even asked if he wanted a go to which he replied, I don't want to owe you $1000 when I crash it lol.

All in all, a very present experience. He said if anyone complains, let them know that the police say it is perfectly fine to fly here.

Thanks

Today I was flying around my usual spot in Central Park, Chesterfield, Missouri. I was on my 3rd battery when a cop pulled up and asked if that was my drone. He said that someone called to complain that a drone was following them around the park and they wanted something done about it.

First of all:
Yes I was flying around the park at about 200 foot. The park has a big body of water with a walking path that goes around it, the total distance of the trail is probably about a mile long. I usually keep my drone over the water and fly further out away from the path. Yes people are walking around but I completely ignore them, I never EVER fly close or go above someones head.

The cop explained that it is perfectly fine to fly the drone around the park, he just had to follow up because of the call. I showed him the controller with an iPad mini connected and he thought it was amazing. He asked the usual questions, how long will it stay in the air, how much did it cost and WHERE CAN I GET ONE? He watched the screen for a while and I even asked if he wanted a go to which he replied, I don't want to owe you $1000 when I crash it lol.

All in all, a very present experience. He said if anyone complains, let them know that the police say it is perfectly fine to fly here.

Thanks
Yeah, that will stop batcrap-crazies from complaining. :) LOL

Glad to hear you had a good interaction with the LEO. I bet they will be sick of calls like this real fast as more & more are sold.

Freaking 'cop callers'... like the LEO's don't have anything better to do than to be sent on pointless calls to calm your unfounded fears of nothing. :mad:

Wrong ending to the post.

... said it was okay to fly at the park... so I went right back to following the person.
Wat8.jpg

Reactions: dirkclod
2axt6UZ.gif

I had to call the police on my own. I have a neighbor who is bat-crap crazy paranoid that I am flying my silent drones for hours to get a peek at his kids changing clothes. His latest threat (in writing) was that if he ever sees my drone flying, he would call the police.

So I called the police. A sergeant came to my home and I flew the Phantom for him, showed him the footage, my pilot certificate and AMA cards and offered that he could call me if they need a quick drone flight to look for a lost kid or alzheimer's patient. (Apparently we have a lot of those here). I now have a friend at the PD.

By the way, my neighbor is an obstetrician.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's astounding how even highly educated people can fall for the hype, based on the media alone!

I had to call the police on my own. I have a neighbor who is bat-**** crazy paranoid that I am flying my silent drones for hours to get a peek at his kids changing clothes. His latest threat (in writing) was that if he ever sees my drone flying, he would call the police.

So I called the police. A sergeant came to my home and I flew the Phantom for him, showed him the footage, my pilot certificate and AMA cards and offered that he could call me if they need a quick drone flight to look for a lost kid or alzheimer's patient. (Apparently we have a lot of those here). I now have a friend at the PD.

By the way, my neighbor is an obstetrician.

call me if they need a quick drone flight to look for a lost kid or alzheimer's patient. (Apparently we have a lot of those here).

I think we do too in Florida - but I forget. ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl