Some advice before 1st flight this weekend?

Reaction score
Hi.

Just need some advice. I use an IPAD mini 2 with no celular link. When at home and experimenting (without flying), the IPAD is connected to my WiFI and loads up the area (map) where I live and points out - my home and an arrow over my house, where it will return-to-home, if I flew from there.

However, I can't cache any maps as I don't know where I will be flying in the future

If I go to some remote location and setup and turn on, I obviously won't have any maps available at all BUT the position of where I am WILL be displayed on the IPAD in spite of having no map in the background. These co-ordinates that the Phantom finds are sent to my IPAD.

Question: Even though I don't have a map displayed because I cannot cache any maps, will the aircraft still know where I am in order to use RETURN HOME?

Question: Even though I don't have a map displayed because I cannot cache any maps, will the aircraft still know where I am in order to use RETURN HOME?
Yes. It uses the GPS receiver on the Phantom to find its way back to the home point.

And should you ever lose a GPS signal 1st try to increase the aircrafts altitude. If it doesn't restore the signal then you need to switch to Amode on the R/C and land asap if you're not in line of sight.

(Edit: I changed my original response as msinger posted just seconds before me and they were similar.)

Last edited:
Hi @Hilon. Good luck on your first flight!

Click here for some tips that I like to share with new pilots. Maybe you'll see something useful.

Cheers!

Your main worry seems to be that you won't have maps on your iPad at the flight site. Let's solve that issue first. Create a hot spot on your iPhone and connect your iPad to it at site and get the maps. This will eliminate your worries.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

And should you ever lose a GPS signal 1st try to increase the aircrafts altitude. If it doesn't restore the signal then you need to switch to Amode on the R/C and land asap if you're not in line of sight.

(Edit: I changed my original response as msinger posted just seconds before me and they were similar.)
I second that too.... If you lose connection on the screen chances are you can still control the drone. Increase the altitude and also press the RTH function on the controller as soon as possible. Before you set off make sure you have the altitude set at a good height for return to home just so it won't crash Into anything

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

I second that too.... If you lose connection on the screen chances are you can still control the drone. Increase the altitude and also press the RTH function on the controller as soon as possible. Before you set off make sure you have the altitude set at a good height for return to home just so it won't crash Into anything

NEVER select RTH if you lose GPS Signal!

Reactions: cfd701
Your main worry seems to be that you won't have maps on your iPad at the flight site. Let's solve that issue first. Create a hot spot on your iPhone and connect your iPad to it at site and get the maps. This will eliminate your worries.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Good idea .... thank you

Cheers, thank you.

How come ?
If RTH is initiated and your Phantom is not able to use the GPS data, it'll auto land at its current location (if you're using the default settings in DJI GO).

1473446366704.jpg

Make sure its not too windy when you go out and the RTH height is set higher than any trees nearby- !

If RTH is initiated and your Phantom is not able to use the GPS data, it'll auto land at its current location (if you're using the default settings in DJI GO).

What happens if has a compass error and RTH is initiated and the pilot has the default settings in the GO app set to return to home?

What happens if has a compass error and RTH is initiated and the pilot has the default settings in the GO app set to return to home?
Or maybe a better question -- why did the pilot take off with a compass error in the first place?

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Or maybe a better question -- why did the pilot take off with a compass error in the first place?
To be honest a similar thing happened to me once. GPS safe to fly was on so I took off...30 seconds later compass error came up... Thankfully it corrected itself tho within 10 seconds.... Heart was beating there when it happened lol

In this instance there was no signs of an error 3.5mins into the flight. Please provide your best solution-

At 3.5mins into the flight an error pops up on monitor. Two of the words say something about "Compass Error". At the very same moment the aircraft cocks sideways and is flying to the right. The pilot has little to almost no control over the aircraft when moving the R/C Sticks. Severe Panic has come over the pilot as he struggles with the lack of control.

What is this pilots two best options,(or one option if that is all he has)?

Bonus Video:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31