(Solved-For me) Home Lock Issue

Reaction score
My phantom is 3 weeks old and I have updated to the new firmware. I did go into the advanced settings and checked the IOC box to activate Home Lock, but it does not work in flight.

While I have the Phantom connected to my PC, the HL-CL-Off switch gets the proper responses within the Assistant software. When I turn on(plug the battery in), my Phantom will blink 2 green once it is ready to fly- HL and GPS selected. However, the Phantom always responds to commands as if it is in Course Lock.

The Come Home feature works, so it knows where I am...I did not test this feature before the firmware upgrade.

Any suggestions?

Re: Home Lock Issue

More or less, same problem as me ,couple of posts down.

My quad is also around 2 weeks old. I have not updated firmware.

Are you getting the 20x green during warm up. Home position record.

Can you get the manual method to record position/course- 5x clicking left switch between OFF-CL / CL-HL.

I too found that HL does not work- I did not try CL. I will do that when the weather allows.

Finally, what LEDs do you see when switching the IOC
I get single green -OFF
Single green,single yellow - CL
Single green - HL

Sorry to give more questions than answers- but I am sure that our findings are very similar.
My supplier is saying he is in the proccess of talking to DJI about this. [they are always so helpful when you used Paypal ;) ]
Please post anything else you note. I will post my progress.

Is the phantom 20 yards away from the home position when you enable HL? It will drop out of HL if it ever gets close to home.

TickTock said:
Is the phantom 20 yards away from the home position when you enable HL? It will drop out of HL if it ever gets close to home.
I believe, if HL is selected, that it should drop out of HL if less than 20 m from the home position, but will re-engage HL when the correct distance has been reached.

However, I am tending to think that the reason we cannot fly in HL is that it is not recognising the recorded home point.

And the only way to find out is to force a RTH- and see what happens.

Volunteers, step this way !

discv said:
More or less, same problem as me ,couple of posts down.

My quad is also around 2 weeks old. I have not updated firmware.

Are you getting the 20x green during warm up. Home position record.

Can you get the manual method to record position/course- 5x clicking left switch between OFF-CL / CL-HL.

I too found that HL does not work- I did not try CL. I will do that when the weather allows.

I get single green -OFF
Single green - HL

Sorry to give more questions than answers- but I am sure that our findings are very similar.
My supplier is saying he is in the proccess of talking to DJI about this. [they are always so helpful when you used Paypal ;) ]
Please post anything else you note. I will post my progress.

20 Green light: Yes, it blinks many times, way too fast to count though.
Manual record of position/course: I never heard of this one, I will try next time out and see what happens
LED colors, with GPS on, Switching IOC
Off: Green-Green
CL: Yellow-Green-Green
HL: Green-Green
LED colors, with ATTI on, Switching IOC
Off: Yellow-Yellow
CL : Yellow-Green-Green
HL: Yellow-Yellow

Together, we have hope to fix this, Thanks

TickTock said:

I have been starting with HL and GPS enabled. I have tested the HL feature at multiple distances, many exceeding 20 yards.
It knows where Home is when the RTH is tested, regardless of how close it gets. Why would/does it lose HL when it gets close?

Thanks for the input.

discv said:
TickTock said:
I believe, if HL is selected, that it should drop out of HL if less than 20 m from the home position, but will re-engage HL when the correct distance has been reached.

However, I am tending to think that the reason we cannot fly in HL is that it is not recognising the recorded home point.

And the only way to find out is to force a RTH- and see what happens.

Volunteers, step this way !

I DID test the RTH feature and it does work, even while the HL feature does not. I tested before I realized that I had a HL problem.
This volunteer didn't step your way, he stumbled!

Well stumbled! Good to hear that it worked.

I am beginning to think that this problem is something to do with the IOC switch.
I'll be very interested in what you find when trying to record home position manually.

I have found it very unstable- different results every time I try.

Mostly- OFF to CL produces nothing
CL to HL nothing
OFF to HL , 10 or more times sometimes gives the 20 greens. Let me know.

If anyone is at page 13 of the Quick Start Guide- any idea of the true translation of the word 'realize' in the line 'Realize an IOC flight by the following procedure'

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 782

discv said:
If anyone is at page 13 of the Quick Start Guide- any idea of the true translation of the word 'realize' in the line 'Realize an IOC flight by the following procedure'
The interprutaton I use is "this is how it works"

The Pic on the left shows the stick position, the three illustrations on the right shows the various responses in the varios IOC switch positions.

Help any?

discv said:

See the results of the three switch positions" would be how I read it.

The stick position on the left gives the results as shown on the right for the given switch postion above.

discv said:
For what it's worth, I think 'realize' means 'reset a new home point or course'

Please also note that one screen shot advises, with regard to HL, OFF to HL 5 times. The other advises HL to CL 5 times :?

In my case only OFF to HL 10+ times has any effect. I'm more confused than ever.

discv said:

Yeah, I was troubled by their use of the word "knowledge" in the manuals until I got the knack of what they meant.

I just kind of had it out with the HL issue this morning, since it seemed like the Phantom would sometimes behave entirely differently than expected after engaging home lock. Most significantly, in HL, it would go right with the right stick pulled back, left with the stick forward, etc. Not at all like HL is described.

Don't take my word for it - verify this for yourself, but I'm pretty sure that the Phantom looses home lock if it gets within the 10 meter circle (yes, 30 ft., not 30 meters or 90 ft.), and that is why it behaved as described above. The following is from page 8 of the Advanced Manual:

"Before you do the home lock flight, you have to fly the aircraft out of the 10m range around home point, and then flip the switch S2 to HL position to fly in home lock when all the requirements are met. If you have already toggled the switch S2 to HL position when the aircraft is still in 10m range around home point, and this is the first time you are going to fly in home lock during the current flight, then if all the requirements are met, MC will change into home lock automatically when the aircraft flies out of the 10m range around home point."

So, I experimented and found that I could re-engage Home Lock after it had disengaged itself by flipping the IOC switch off, and then back to the HL position. Then, it appeared to lock into the new GPS position, and fly HL as it is supposed to around that point.

I have some video of this if anybody is interested. It isn't a thorough shake down of the process, but I feel better about HL for now. Basically, I still prefer to fly with IOC off, and leave Home Lock for a backup if I need it.

Mo-Quad said:
discv said:
I get single green -OFF
Single green - HL

Manual record of position/course: I never heard of this one, I will try next time out and see what happens

Mo-quad, we are seeing different light sequence here. Can anyone confirm the correct one?

discv said:
Mo-Quad said:
discv said:
I get single green -OFF
Single green - HL

Mo-quad, we are seeing different light sequence here. Can anyone confirm the correct one?

I just re-read my response and it doesn't make sense to me. The LED response while changing the IOC doesn't match the response while changing GPS-ATTI.

I will, wind and Wife permitting, take a video of the LEDs and switches this afternoon. If the battery holds up, I will retry the senarios presented by the group.

I must thank you; discv, GeneL and TickTock, for pointing out the mistakes I have made in evaluating my Phantom problem.

I read your input and my responses and began to wonder if I had done all the things you had suggested. I must have not. I went to my flying field this afternoon, hoping to try everything again to verify my responses to you and, by following your inputs, everything was working as advertised. Home Lock worked after I flew beyond 30 feet; Course Lock worked and I could change the direction ofthe course by flipping the switch 5 times. And of course the RTH brought the bird back to the nest.

I apologize for thinking I had been doing things right the first time and leading you all in circles around my percieved problems.

I did take a video of my Phantom starting up and going through a series of switch settings so you could see the LEDs that I do get with the various switch settings. It can be viewed on YouTube at http://youtu.be/FiY9dzZ6A0M if you are interested.

I will continue to follow this forum and will assist, if I can.

Thanks

MO-Quad

Thanks Mo quad. Your excellent video highlights just what mine is NOT doing.

But I do find it interesting that where, for example, you have IOC OFF & GPS selected, you are get a green- green.
I can find no mention of this double blink in any manual.

I am going to try and duplicate your video using my bird- and with your help work out the difference.

Towards the end of your video, you demonstrate a manual Course Lock set? You toggle from OFF to CL 5 times and then get a 20x green confirmation?

discv said:
Thanks Mo quad. Your excellent video highlights just what mine is NOT doing.

But I do find it interesting that where, for example, you have IOC OFF & GPS selected, you are get a green- green.
I can find no mention of this double blink in any manual.

I am going to try and duplicate your video using my bird- and with your help work out the difference.

Towards the end of your video, you demonstrate a manual Course Lock set? You toggle from OFF to CL 5 times and then get a 20x green confirmation?

Re: The Manual Course Lock: That is what I did and that was the response. I did this in the field with positive results. I started my flight with the front of the bird pointing North. After dinking around for a bit, I pointed the front to the East, did the switch flipping and the green LEDs flashed, and then she flew East when I pushed the stick forward, regardless of the actual direction the bird was pointed.

I understand that you get different responses from yours after stoppping and restarting. I only have one battery right now, others are enroute from HK. so I will continue to check on mine when I fly next, to ensure the stability of the responses.

Keep in mind that I DID do the firmware upgrade that I have seen complaints about in a different topic on this forum. If you have not done that, be cautious. If you have not,be cautios.

Good luck!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20