[SOLVED] Attaining full Range of Gimbal Tilt Control

Reaction score
On August 31st OI Photography said this: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=24016&start=10#p225828 (Thanks again!)
I've since watched all the videos he linked and I flashed the model he attached to that message to get me started configuring my Taranis X9D Radio. I'm going slow and taking baby steps, but thus far I haven't been able to figure out how to get a full range of motion (Vertical Tilt) out of my Zenmuse H3-3D Gimbal. I have the right slider on my Taranis setup to control the tilt. I expected to get roughly 90 degrees of tilt ranging from straight ahead to straight down, but instead I'm only getting about half (45 degrees) that. Adjusting the slider in the center detent position points the GoPro about where I would expect; somewhere halfway between straight ahead and straight down. Anyone have any tips for me as to how to resolve that?

Additionally, since I am officially a Taranis newbie at this point, are there any good topics on this Forum discussing the various configuration options of the Taranis relative to its utilization as an alternative Remote Control for the DJI Phantom?

Thanks in advance :!:

Re: FrSky Taranis X9D Experts - Please Read

Are you saying that when you move the slider across its full range (top-detent-bottom), the gimbal only responds to half of it? If that's the case, have you calibrated the Taranis itself in addition to the sticks calibration in the Phantom assistant?

If you've already done those, try switching the tilt control assignment to the other slider or one of the pots and see if the gimbal still behaves the same.

Here's the details on how to calibrate the Taranis if you haven't already:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7zA_tkH_Zc[/youtube]

OI Photography said:
Are you saying that when you move the slider across its full range (top-detent-bottom), the gimbal only responds to half of it?
Sort of. Allow me to elaborate further. . . When the slider is all the way up, the GoPro is pointing about 30 degrees down from the horizon. At center detent the GoPro is pointing about 45 degrees down from the horizon (which I would expect). When the slider is all the way down, the GoPro is pointing roughly 60 degrees down. Understand?

OI Photography said:
If that's the case, have you calibrated the Taranis itself
YES!

OI Photography said:
in addition to the sticks calibration in the Phantom assistant?
NO! I didn't think to do that part. I assumed that the Phantom Assistant software would have no bearing on the calibration any longer since the Phantom controller had been replaced with a third party TX/RX. I will definitely try that later tonight to see if it makes any difference. Thanks for the tip!

OI Photography said:
If you've already done those, try switching the tilt control assignment to the other slider or one of the pots and see if the gimbal still behaves the same.
I will; and I will report back here with the outcome.

OI Photography said:
Here's the details on how to calibrate the Taranis if you haven't already:

As always, thanks a million :!:

P.S.: :!: :!: :!: :!: Congratulations on your 5000th posting here at Phantom Pilots :!: :!: :!: :!:

Quote: "Posts: 5011"

You are a madman :!: I don't know where you find the time. . .

lol part of my day job is monitoring a number of forums, so it's easy to just include this one on the list. I'm also a voracious collector of useful data sources like this. Post count means nothing other than I talk too much, and I've been at it for a year as of today, so take it with that grain of salt ;)

When you do the calibration in the Phantom assistant, I meant to say to calibrate the X1 channel, but it's a good idea to do the sticks too after adding the X4R.

Let me know if that clears it up!

p.s. you're probably right about the madman thing...

[SOLVED] FrSky Taranis X9D Experts - Please Read

Dear OI Photography,

I wanted to thank you again for your reply to this query (especially since you were the only one who bothered to do so!).
I was able to resolve this issue thusly (see image below). . .

vj6OTB5.png

While my Phantom was powered up and connected to the computer, the defaulted settings for the sliders above were as follows:
Tilt Control Gain - Centered
Horizontal Limit - Full Left
Vertical Limit - Full Left

In the defaulted position, the Tilt Control Gain caused the Gimbal to move too fast, so I pulled the slider to the left, almost to the end of the range. Then I pulled the sliders for Horizontal and Vertical Limit to the right. With both of them set to +25, I was able to attain full range of motion as I described in the OP. :D

A-ha! I didn't realize those were the values they defaulted to, but that does make perfect sense now. I can add that to my list of things to check on the P2, thanks!

Dear OI Photography,

As you might have noticed, I changed the subject line of this topic due to the fact that in retrospect this issue was probably not exclusive to the Taranis or any third party TX/RX combo.

Since you were the only one that replied, I'm guessing that there are not a great deal of folks on the Phantom Pilots forum who use the Taranis or have any interest in helping others in that regard. Being such a full featured and configurable device, I would like to learn as much as I can regarding its capabilities. I'm getting the impression that this forum may not be the best place to pose future questions (as I assume there will be many). Due to the fact that I already participate in five other support forums, and have limited available time, I hate the thought of having to sign up for another, but I feel like I may have to in order to become proficient with the Taranis. That being the case, I was wondering if you had any recommendations regarding another venue with an active Taranis user base, especially how it can be utilized with a multi-rotor platform or the Phantom in general? It seems as though most of the other Taranis forums that I have stumbled across, are inhabited primarily by "Fixed Wing" pilots. When I start reading those posts filled with terms like Throttle, Rudder, Aileron, Elevator, Flaps, etc., and then try to translate those terms and how they apply to multi-rotors, it makes my head hurt after a while :oops: :) ;)

To be honest most of what I learned about the Taranis came from this forum or YT (mostly Scott Page's videos). There's a few good threads around here about the Taranis, but this is probably the most robust: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3921

I don't really follow the Taranis threads on any other forum, I know the ones on RCGroups are loaded with fixed-wing flyers like you noticed. The official OpenTx forums have a good Taranis section, and I've heard there's a FB group too ("X9D owners group" or something similar) though I haven't looked it up or joined.

OI Photography said:
To be honest most of what I learned about the Taranis came from this forum or YT (mostly Scott Page's videos). There's a few good threads around here about the Taranis, but this is probably the most robust: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3921
Thanks OI Photography! I'll start reading that topic soon. I'm sure I'll learn something from it ;)

OI Photography said:
I don't really follow the Taranis threads on any other forum, I know the ones on RCGroups are loaded with fixed-wing flyers like you noticed. The official OpenTx forums have a good Taranis section, and I've heard there's a FB group too ("X9D owners group" or something similar) though I haven't looked it up or joined.
Sorry, I'm (a.) sleep deprived and (b.) just woke up from a 4 hour nap, so I don't think my brain is fully engaged yet. Pardon my ignorance or lack of deductive reasoning (I'm sure I'm going to regret this after you tell me the answer) but what is a "FB group"? :oops:

OI Photography said:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/397668277041464/

;)
Yeah, I told you I'd regret that after I asked :lol:

I don't do social media (other than YouTube). No Facebook, no Twitter, no LinkedIn for me. It's just too much of a time suck, and I cherish my privacy. :roll:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.