Soldering Wires from 2312 Motors

Reaction score
I'm new to soldering and have had success but these new motors use a harder two piece wire that the solder does not stick to at all. It just rolls right off of the wires, luckily I put a piece of cardboard over the ESC.

I read/watched tutorials and most just say that I need to heat up the wires more but I don't think that's possible to heat it up any more than the last time I attempted.

I havent soldered the new motors but since they are directly coming from the motor winding they may have varnish on them, Try some fine sand paper or scotch bright to burnish the wire.

I'm new to soldering and have had success but these new motors use a harder two piece wire that the solder does not stick to at all. It just rolls right off of the wires, luckily I put a piece of cardboard over the ESC.

I read/watched tutorials and most just say that I need to heat up the wires more but I don't think that's possible to heat it up any more than the last time I attempted.

The wire has an enamel coating for insulation. This is how the coil windings are kept from shorting to each other.

You'll need to use sandpaper, razor blade (scrape), or similar to remove it before you'll be able to solder. Once it's gone you'll have no problem soldering to it/them.

Awesome, thanks guys. I'll try that out next time.

Maybe I misunderstood but those motors come with three wires already pre tinned. So why in the world is the discussion about sanding off the enamel coating on the motor windings?

If your replacing motors for whatever reason onto the ESC module your solder iron may not be of the correct wattage to do the job.

So at this point why not fill everyone in on what exactly you are doing before using the wrong info.

If the original wires were desoldered, he'd be set. I'm guessing someone cut the wires instead of desoldering them, leaving no tinned ends.

Even a 15 watt iron should be able to solder these wires no problem. The enamel is a common 'gotcha' for the beginner or inexperienced.
Of course having a clean, tinned, tip is also very important.

I don't the same! Couldn't get the solder to stick, was at it and hour and a half nightmare! Ended up desoldering the wires from the board and motor back to the board

I just got my pencil torch 34pc precision screwdriver set an heat shrink tubing for repairs just in case lol

If your iron tip was not clean and also if not useing flux can do the same thing. But if your iron is clean and using flux even if there was some varnish on the wires it should burn off same as the Conformal Coating that dji puts on there solder joints to seal them. It can take a bit of heat to get them to melt at first but they should melt if using a 15w or higher iron.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic