Soldering wires for the IOSD mini and Storm FPV (Phantom 2)

Reaction score
Hello!

I finally got my Phantom 2 (non vision) with the gimbal, IOSD mini, and Storm FPV system. I've been flying the P2 by itself (no camera/FPV) for the last few weeks to get used to it and now I'm ready to add on the rest and start getting some footage. I was hoping that i could just plug everything in and go, however its pretty obvious that I have to do more than that. After doing a search and watching a few videos on youtube, looks like i have to do some soldering and wire everything. Problem is that I've never soldered anything in my life and I'm terrified to mess up the wiring. Is there a video out there that is fool proof for dummies like me? I just want to get this set up RIGHT and start getting the footage my friends have been waiting for. HELP!

Re: Soldering wires for the IOSD mini and Storm FPV (Phantom

I soldered mine and it was the first time I've soldered anything. Don't be intimidated by it. I also used heat shrink tubing to cover up the soldered points so nothing is exposed.

I used this video to help. Very informative

Soldering basics for RC planes: http://youtu.be/nS0bEuYPJoA

just buy the $20 DJI FPV hub!!!! No soldering. LOL

I was going to suggest the one from firstpersonview.com but noticed he said he's using storm fpv. Not sure if it was compatible with the one he's using.

Thanks guys, i think I'm going to opt for the HUB, i didn't even know it existed. (I know I should learn how to solder, maybe just on something else, don't want to mess up the wiring on my new expensive toy) I hope the HUB is compatible with my Storm FPV System.

Cheers

ps this is a great website.

I never soldered anything either and I wired up my vtx and iosd mini in less than an hour. I could have done it much faster but I put the iosd mini inside the phantom for less clutter on the outside. Seems like the zenmuse, vtx, iosd mini, and hub is a lot to fit on the bottom of the phantom. I'm mounting a GPS tracker to the bottom of mine, so I had to leave some room.

I followed this video and I had no problems at all. It really isn't that tough.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TL8pqtEDuos

Dont be scared of soldering guys. The trick is to take your time and be methodical. There are lots of resources on YouTube and elsewhere that will guide you. Watch a few before trying it out.

Get some gash cable and practice on it before doing it for real on the P2. You'll soon learn how much solder you need to apply and how it behaves.

Soldering is a dying art these days.... it would be great to keep it alive. :ugeek:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31