Soldering problem

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Performing ESC upgrade, and being a little impatient I pulled off a wire AND pad while soldering from the main board. See photo.

Any suggestions if this is fixable?

Thanks in advance.
DSC_0010.JPG

If it was anything else I might risk a fix, but not with something as critical as ESC power. Don't gamble with that. Chalk it up to lesson learned and buy a new board.

Hey Green Phantom, I hear where you are coming, however getting a new board would mean doing soldering a lot more soldering, with a lot of room for error. I'd reckon there'd be a bigger chance of loosing the drone with a new board then the one connection.

I'd prefer to give it a go to fix it, and if it crashes and burns, then yeah, lesson leaned and buy a new one.

I looked under the pcb hoping there would be some clue to where that connection would run to, but nothing to see there.

The other option is for me to find some electronics guru to see if they believe it can be salvaged.

Any other options guys?
Thanks.

Last edited:
That's a tuff one as that is a robotic solder joint. The copper pad that came off was the connection solder point. With out that solder won't stick. The only fix is to solder directly to the track. If that is a double layer board then the track could be between the layers and hard to get to. You have to solder a jumper wire directly to the actual single point connection if you can find it, then connect the ESC coax connection to that. Not an easy task.
With copper solder pads you have to be sure the solder is hot and melted before pulling on the connection as I am sure you have now found out. It's a trial and error learning period to keep from breaking the pads loose. If it was me I would get a new board and practice my soldering skills on the old board before installing the new one.
We feal your anguish and pain. Good luck with the repairs.

No biggie.

Just pull power from where the batt. attaches to the main PCB.

OK, so that is power +ve. Great, easy then. Thanks N017RW and others.

Hope I can repay the community with good advice as well some day. Tahnks again.
Cheers

They used coax for the connection to reduce possible noise.

You might want to be aware of possible issues if you don't use coax.
I cannot say how critical it is with the P2 as I have never experimented but in my CP-heli days the power to the ESC was never coax.

Maybe others will have had specific experience with this and could add something. Or you might be the first to post about it.

OK, so that is power +ve. Great, easy then. Thanks N017RW and others.

Hope I can repay the community with good advice as well some day. Tahnks again.
Cheers

When you're finished hot glue that cable to the main board

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie