Soldering irons (maybe the wrong place)

Reaction score
Hi I'm starting my 550 project this week and my soldering iron is a Dremel versatip 2000 is it capable of the soldering on this project ?

Or should I look for something else.

Does anyone use this soldering iron.

Also what type of solder should I use ? Any recommendations

I'm not familiar with gas powered soldering irons. But when I started to build my F550 I quickly found that my 'ordinary' electric iron just wouldn't cut it with fat wires and the main board. So I went out and bought a soldering station from Maplin (unfortunately neither of you give your location, but Maplin is UK). It has a base unit with adjustable controls. I found I needed to notch it right up to 450 degrees to make any impression. The tip of the iron was pointed and as such not too good with large joints, insufficient area of contact, so I simply snipped off the point to give a flat end, and that did the trick perfectly. The fat cables and connections on a F550 just suck the heat right out of irons, so you need heat and lots of it. I found soldering one of the most difficult tasks in the build.

This is it: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/48w-professional-2-line-lcd-display-solder-station-n34fb

As for solder, get the lead-free stuff on a roll, and the thicker stuff, not skinny. Also flux makes matters easier and safer. I prefer the stuff that's similar to Vaseline. It makes a clean joint and, as it melts, it helps to spread the heat from the gun.

Thanks for the info about the solder and flux I'll have a trip to the shop and get some my stuff is quite thin.

I know this soldering iron reaches 550 dec I'll give it a try and report back.

I have owned about every type of soldering iron you imagine. For electronics projects i would recommend a soldering kit (check amazon) featuring a stand, temperature adjustment, helping hands thing, vaccuum pump etc. 50w or so to cope with thicker cable.

That dremel one is fine, i find them awkward to use for fine work though. I always end up burning something when i use that type, mostly myself!

My favorite at the moment is the Pro 180 from Iroda.

SD0107306-40.jpg

That looks like a nice kit, really good

Unfortunately I'm not in a place that Amazon will deliver to. And mostly here it's old soviet manufacturers for this kind of equipment and honestly the quality is a bit guff. I'm looking for a helping hand I've found something that is for embroidery but can't find anything else.

I'm going to have a little practice with this dremel device see how I get on if it will work on this cable. Really before I invest in another device, my missus still doesn't know I've got the 550 yet ive been hiding it, if I pull out a soldering iron too it will be grounds for divorce )))

CallMeAlan said:
snipped off the point to give a flat end. I found soldering one of the most difficult tasks in the build.

You snipped off the tip of your soldering iron? :shock:

I certainly did MrC. I snipped off the final millimetre or two so as to get a 2 or 3 millimetre wide business end as a sharp point was no good.

So an update,

Yes the soldering iron worked fine. It was hot enough maybe even a little too hot.
In the hands of a person with some experience it would be a very good and useful little soldering tool especially for repairs in the field.

I was able to use it horizontally without getting my hands tangled in an electrical cable. There is a flat headed tip available for decorative wood burning and I think that would have been better for the job. Overall it worked and everything is stuck I've tested it all and I only burnt my fingers twice.

Hope this helps for this question in the future

I've been soldering for years and a good quality soldering station is worth its weight in gold. My personal go-to soldering iron is the Weller Model WES51. Can be had via Amazon for just under $100.

U.M.

Reactions: LostAngel

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20