Solder points

Reaction score
Does anyone have an answer to taking the shell off the Phaantom 2 and coating the solder joints with an non acid silicon ?

Does anyone think this would be a good idea? Seeing that many readers have mentioned loose solder joints from DJI

Thanks for your help, this forum has been extremely useful for me

Joe

Sure why not. I've used automotive RTV.

Solder is sufficiently strong to maintain its connection if it was done properly. No glue will compensate for this.
Additionally if you were to develop a failure or an intermittent connection this would make it more difficult to identify and repair.

Not necessary... TEHO.

Emcsquar

What is automotive RTV?

And to : NO17RW, you say and I quote " if it was done correctly", then why do I constantly hear about poor solder joints?

You for got the second sentence... "No glue will compensate for this."

I also said TEHO (to each his own).

I know we all like to tinker and make what we feel are improvements.
If it makes you feel better, by all means go for it.

N017RW said:
Solder is sufficiently strong to maintain its connection if it was done properly. No glue will compensate for this.
Additionally if you were to develop a failure or an intermittent connection this would make it more difficult to identify and repair.

Not necessary... TEHO.

That is exactly my concern. If it's a bad solder joint, the silicon would, at best, turn a total failure into an intermittent failure. In either case, you'll probably wind up on the ground a bit sooner than anticipated... :shock:

But, with the added silicon, you'll have a much more difficult time locating the failure.

I've considered desoldering and resoldering all joints associated with power, but with my luck I'd probably create a problem where one didn't previously exist... If I start seeing evidence that there's a higher percentage of solder joint failures in the future, I'll revisit the issue... For now... I'm gonna wing it... ;)

-slinger

Joeg1937 said:
Emcsquar

What is automotive RTV?

And to : NO17RW, you say and I quote " if it was done correctly", then why do I constantly hear about poor solder joints?

Automotive RTV is a silicone sealant used on gaskets - Permatex makes a non-acidic version that won't eat plastic, aluminum, etc... I use it on connections to help keep vibrations from shaking solder joints apart.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj