Sold my Vision + bought FC 40

Reaction score
After the court ruling of no commercial use and no use for anyone using FPV I didn't want to risk $1,400 so I sold it and got a FC 40. I discovered the FC 40 is the same except the props, weight and of course the camera and software. I have been a little irritated by the wind blowing this light craft more than my Vision so I did the following:

Bought 3 oz weight to Velcro underneath the body in the center behind the camera mount, bought 9" Phantom 2 blades, and turned down my gain to 120 on all 4 settings instead of 125. I hope this gives me a little more stability and stops a 5 mile an hour wind from blowing this ship all around. I also did a test and downloaded a wifi booster app and I was able to use my camera for about 150-175 yards. So if things get better and the laws are better defined I can use this to shoot videos for Realtors in the future and just work on a steady hand in place of the gimbal. If things get worse I still have a nice quad to buzz around the hood with and I am only out $500.

I have heard others say that the larger blades give the ship more stability but I also thought that those blades were designed for a heavier ship and the weight is probably what gives the Vision more stability due to it being more sluggish. Any comments? I haven't tried it yet with the weights they are drying (I had to expoxy pinewood derby weights together and I am waiting for them to dry and then attach the velcro.

Hi Thegrons, I'm in the UK, so a little supprised at the FPV thing.... Here as far as I understand your ok to use FPV, as long as you still have line of sight with the aircraft. If your going to use goggles, then you also have to have someone close by as a spotter. As for your idea about the weights... Ok, I see where your coming from there, but if it was me I'd be adding weight by adding a battery. I like the Vision, but now glad after hearing some of the tails about Battery Connectors, and it checking that its a DJI battery, oh and I heard there was a limit to the number of times you could use the batteries to..... And I'm more than happy with my FC40... Have a couple of Non-DJI batteries, and looking forward to adding some more toys to it. At the end of the day, I bought mine for enjoyment of flying. The camera side of it, is good, but it's a Bonus, nothing more, but I intend to make my own Gimbal based around the FC40 camera.... (Mainly because of cost, and weight)....

I have heard that the FAA appealed a ruling allowing commercial use of drones but that there are no "Laws" concerning this activity yet. Only suggested rules. Does anyone have a link showing any real laws concerning the use of our toys? I have been told by folks that work for Amazon in Nevada that Drones are being used to make deliveries at this time. They have not seen it but they work in the Fernley, Nv amazon warehouse and deliveries are being made in Silver Spings and Fallon, NV.

Some drone company has announced it will use the Silver Springs Airport (thats a joke, not really an airport) for testing drones.

http://en.recuweb.com/carsonnow.org/201 ... drone-test

If you Google FAA outlaws drones USA Today they have an article but I went to the hobby shop this weekend and he had the rules and told me that any FPV drone is illegal for hobby or commercial use. So we have to fly by sight now BUT there is not controlling authority to enforce this. The police have no authority to fine you or even confiscate your drone -yet so there is still some home but it seems that as with most totalitarian governments, once the wagon starts down the hill there is not pushing it back up and this Genie isn't going back in the bottle.

They are focused now primarily on commercial use of Drones. Of course they will eventually focus on consumers as well. The rules are posted in PDF of the FAA site.
http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/ua ... c_rule.pdf

Flite Test discussion on Ban ----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYs815t ... Ez1216noAw

Article ----> http://flitetest.com/articles/faa-ban-on-fpv

There is a petition to sign here ----> http://www.change.org/petitions/the-uni ... l-vehicles

thegrons said:
If you Google FAA outlaws drones USA Today they have an article but I went to the hobby shop this weekend and he had the rules and told me that any FPV drone is illegal for hobby or commercial use. So we have to fly by sight now BUT there is not controlling authority to enforce this. The police have no authority to fine you or even confiscate your drone -yet so there is still some home but it seems that as with most totalitarian governments, once the wagon starts down the hill there is not pushing it back up and this Genie isn't going back in the bottle.

Seems to me it's basicaly that you mustn't use the FPV with goggles, must be able to see the aircraft with the naked eye, no commercial flights, and common sense when choosing a flying area. You can still have a display to show a camera from the aircraft, but you mustn't be using it to control the aircraft, as you must be able to see it by eye at all times.
It's the way I fly here in the UK... Plain common sense, but I know there are people that like to fly out of sight by FPV, so it will affect them. But that wouldn't be for me anyway. I like to watch the bird flying...

you mustn't be using it to control the aircraft, as you must be able to see it by eye at all times.

This may seem odd. But how does someone else know how far YOU CAN see it at and if its in YOUR site or not??????

They are afraid of the hobby of course and need to "control" it like everything else. At the same time they tell the public that they are trying to keep them safe and as we know lots of people buy that kind of BS. All you need is to tell people they are going to be safe for them to give up their rights. Of course I signed the petition not going to take it lightly I like flying. So far the rules are as follows here is the link because the laws differ by state.

http://m1.marketwatch.com/articles/BL-M ... y&mobile=y

I miss my fc40 but I got a Vision plus instead. (and my ol' Phantom v1.2) funny me an the op should have just traded.. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20