Solar Storm warnings for Monday Nov. 2

Reaction score
The website SOLAR STORM WARNING lists a major solar storm peaking Mon. Nov. 2 and Tues. Nov. 3
and UAV Weather Forcast website UAV Weather Forecast recommends "No Fly" for Mon. Nov. 2. and Wed. Nov. 4th :-(
Solar flares produce highly charged particles which when they reach the earth are referred to as Geomagnetic Storms and can have damaging effects on communications satelites, the power grid and GPS navigation (beware Phantom flyers)
Further reading ... Extreme Solar Storm Could Cause Widespread Disruptions on Earth.

Reactions: nathanpaviator
I have yet to hear of anyone having a problem. MAYBE with a P2 it could make a difference as the GPS signal was so marginal but I doubt it will make any difference to the P3.
Thanks for the tip though - will watch out for the Northern Lights!!!

Most agree that this is not an issue for the Phantoms. I noticed the index is 6 to 8. I'm grounding mine because I'm too busy the next few days.

At this point NOAA has K index calm until end of 11/2 anyway.

Screen Shot 2015-11-01 at 19.57.19.jpg

Updates here:
Planetary K-index | NOAA / NWS Space Weather Prediction Center
and here:
Products | NOAA / NWS Space Weather Prediction Center

Reactions: johnnyu
Probably only an issue when near the poles if at all. The airlines carrying real people don't worry about it and are not cancelling flights, so you shouldn't either. ;)
Airlines use a gps receiver larger than a dime and their radio and computer equipment is larger than the whole P3. They also use lots more telemetry than gps to navigate. So a rather silly comparison

People love to repeat unsubstantiated paranoia. :p

If there is even one documented Phantom crash because of this, post up. There are millions of Phantoms flying out there, tons of crashes posted, but not one is attributed to this K index stuff.

Reactions: Meta4
People love to repeat unsubstantiated paranoia. :p

If there is even one documented Phantom crash because of this, post up. There are millions of Phantoms flying out there, tons of crashes posted, but not one is attributed to this K index stuff.
Probably because there is no process available to link the two. That I know of, anyway. How many posts do we see here of................. "It just went crazy!" Hmmm? Just never know! But I know the majority here have ruled it out as any danger to the Phantoms, so I'll drop it.

Airlines use a gps receiver larger than a dime and their radio and computer equipment is larger than the whole P3. They also use lots more telemetry than gps to navigate. So a rather silly comparison

Have you ever seen an FAA certified GPS receiver? Please don't comment on things you obviously have no direct knowledge of. If you prefer not to fly your RC when there is solar activity, then I'm not saying you should. But the facts don't support your decision..

The website SOLAR STORM WARNING lists a major solar storm peaking Mon. Nov. 2 and Tues. Nov. 3
and UAV Weather Forcast website UAV Weather Forecast recommends "No Fly" for Mon. Nov. 2. and Wed. Nov. 4th :-(
Solar flares produce highly charged particles which when they reach the earth are referred to as Geomagnetic Storms and can have damaging effects on communications satelites, the power grid and GPS navigation (beware Phantom flyers)
Further reading ... Extreme Solar Storm Could Cause Widespread Disruptions on Earth.

An asteroid could hit the earth and cause major problems too but it is not all that likely. Likewise the K index is a non-issue for your Phantom. There has never been a case of failure due to a high K index that has been reported here. If there was a solar storm that was going to hit the earth that would cause such issues your Phantom would be low on your list of priorities.
So to recap... non-issue. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod
IF your GPS was affected by a solar storm, you are only likely to see a minor degradation in GPS accuracy, probably only a couple of feet or so.
It wouldn't make your Phantom fall out of the sky or zoom off toward Pluto.
It would still fly just fine.
So far no-one's seen a solar storm strong enough to visibly affect flight.

Reactions: snowghost
Have you ever seen an FAA certified GPS receiver? Please don't comment on things you obviously have no direct knowledge of. If you prefer not to fly your RC when there is solar activity, then I'm not saying you should. But the facts don't support your decision..

Facts from scientists.
Space Weather and GPS Systems | NOAA / NWS Space Weather Prediction Center

Pull quote:
"In the absence of space weather, GPS systems compensate for the “average” or “quiet” ionosphere, using a model to calculate its effect on the accuracy of the positioning information. But when the ionosphere is disturbed by a space weather event, the models are no longer accurate and the receivers are unable to calculate an accurate position based on the satellites overhead."

Free fall is not free

Another of those revolving topics which come up every couple of months.

In the last 5 or so years flying models with some level of GPS, never worried or cared about Kp.

As others have said, solar storms will, at most, only degrade gps fix quality. If our receivers supported WAAS the impact would be negligible at best. But even without, just a small increase in uncertainty, if that.

No impact on compass/flight/otherwise.

Yep, they changed the Kp rating today to low and I flew no problems.
Just thought it an interesting site, can't vouch for the validity of the data nor whether it is something I need to concern myself with. I suppose if the Kp went to maximum I would consider not flying.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1