software update

Reaction score
hi, have not flown my dji p3s since last year .when i connected today i was prompted to do an update .
should i trust this update?
i updated last year and it was flying ok ,i know sometimes updates arent as good as they claim to be .

that said

should i do the update?

I doubt that. Many have opted not to upgrade and even downgraded.
Only exception was Go app on Android at or older than 3.1.2 due to RC GPS position error with that version. There's workarounds for that too.

Learned my lesson today, did a demo today for DJI in front of thousands, iPad updated to 3.1.something, my p4's were toast, p3's toast. I busted out my yuneec breeze and typhoon h and the local news who had a inspire crash on the update busted out a yuneec h too. Made a new friend along with the local brass, we won't be using DJI drones anymore.

Yes same here I haven't updated for a long time. I agree with philltayl!

Reactions: Pharm
The update is just fine....also most likely you would not of been able to fly your Phantom without the update, dji gives you 3 days to do the update then your grounded until you update your firmware.

Yeah, and if you wait more than one week, then the P3S takes off by itself and flies to DJI HQ to receive the firmware update. The term "product recall" just got a whole new meaning...

Reactions: Philltayl
hi, have not flown my dji p3s since last year .when i connected today i was prompted to do an update .should i trust this update?
i updated last year and it was flying ok ,i know sometimes updates arent as good as they claim to be . that said should i do the update?

It's almost a philosophical question.There are the Believers (in DJI we trust), the Skeptics (if ain't broken, don't fix it) and the Nostalgics (oh, the good old days, when 1.5.7 was around) so at the end it's up to you. But version 1.8.10 is considered by many to be a good and solid firmware, and it definitely works well for me.
Just a word of advice about the 1.8.10 upgrade process: the first time I tried, doing everything by the book, it stopped around 40% and eventually failed. Second attempt went through, despite my P3S beeping like crazy during the entire time. The same happened to other people, so in case just restart the process and be patient. And it might be wise NOT to do it a night, when wife/kids/dogs/neighbors are sleeping.

Last edited:
@helizrnew2me

Let us know if do an update, what your results are.
Fly or Fry ;)

Rod

It's almost a philosophical question.There are the Believers (in DJI we trust), the Skeptics (if ain't broken, don't fix it) and the Nostalgics (oh, the good old days, when 1.5.7 was around) so at the end it's up to you. But version 1.8.10 is considered by many to be a good and solid firmware, and it definitely works well for me.
Just a word of advice about the 1.8.10 upgrade process: the first time I tried, doing everything by the book, it stopped around 40% and eventually failed. Second attempt went through, despite my P3S beeping like crazy during the entire time. The same happened to other people, so in case just restart the process and be patient. And it might be wise NOT to do it a night, when wife/kids/dogs/neighbors are sleeping.

Agree 100% with this reply, just let it go and if it stalls at 40% or 50% just start over. The update goes through the AC and the Camera as I recall. Does some strange things but apparently all normal. Works just fine once completed, and update all your batteries.

update went thru fine the first try .took over a half hour i believe . i just let it go while i browsed the net ,listened to music ect,ect..... went for a short flight the next day everything went fine .i guess i got the latest update then .

I've been using my iPhone to fly my P3S. Tried to switch to a Galaxy 3 tablet I have today. I had a camera view. It requested a firmware update. It downloaded but on final step to install I get a "no SD card" error. It has one in it and has been working fine. I wanted to fly today so switched back to my phone which is also suggesting the update. I elected not to do it. Didn't want to risk wasting a good day for flying, sorting out firmware issues. Sounds like these updates are like iOS updates where it's a roll of the dice helping or hurting the device. Lol!

um, update my batteries? you lost me there . the battery was in it during the update so did the battery get an update too?

Yes: if the battery firmware needed to be updated, then the battery that was in the AC got updated automatically. If you have other batteries whose firmware must be updated, they will receive the update the first time you put them in the AC and power everything up (DJI GO will notify you). If I recall correctly, the 1.8.10 all-in-one firmware did not seem to come with an updated battery firmware, as I've never seen any message from GO for my second battery.

Yes: if the battery firmware needed to be updated, then the battery that was in the AC got updated automatically. If you have other batteries whose firmware must be updated, they will receive the update the first time you put them in the AC and power everything up (DJI GO will notify you). If I recall correctly, the 1.8.10 all-in-one firmware did not seem to come with an updated battery firmware, as I've never seen any message from GO for my second battery.

Thanks for shedding light on that. Appreciate it.

I've been using my iPhone to fly my P3S. Tried to switch to a Galaxy 3 tablet I have today. I had a camera view. It requested a firmware update. It downloaded but on final step to install I get a "no SD card" error. It has one in it and has been working fine. I wanted to fly today so switched back to my phone which is also suggesting the update. I elected not to do it. Didn't want to risk wasting a good day for flying, sorting out firmware issues. Sounds like these updates are like iOS updates where it's a roll of the dice helping or hurting the device. Lol!
funny you mention that ,last year i had an iphone ,this year i have a s7 edge ,i got that same prompt ,"no sd card" i just ignored it and went back to camera view as i knew there was a sd card in it . it recorded .

ps- let me clarify , i did not get the no sd card during the update . i noticed it at the time i went flying and looked on my phone .

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4