Soft center? Can't tell

Reaction score
Hello there
Just made my second flight on my Phantom 3 Advanced but I don't know if I'm getting paranoid from reading all the soft focus / non sharp camera threads around here or I do have a problem on my camera.

I'll post some DNG and also some screenshots (without resizing) from video footage so you guys can help me figuring out if this is the normal P3 camera quality or not. It seems that the center is softer than the corners, at least the left side seems always sharper but maybe I'm just getting paranoid. I'm shooting video in LOG and with the sharpness down to -1.

(original DNG, you must download it)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11676385/DJI_0003.DNG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11676385/DJI_0005.DNG

(1080p footage and 2k footage)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11676385/Untitled-2.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11676385/Untitled-3.jpg

Last edited:
You seem to have a lack of focus all over.
But that being said I have seen people post unfocused looking pictures and it was made a lot worse by poor camera settings.

My focus is good on the left and gets worse to the right.
I have had my best luck by leaving camera on auto.

You need to set the bird on something. (not fly) point camera at object that fills screen.

Here is another thread on same issue.
Photo Quality?

Thank for your help, I just went to my window and took some photos (raw) of the front building and also some video footage. Everything is set to none. Style and color, all none. 0,0,0. So now should be easier to see if my camera is all lacking focus or some spots are softer than others.

DNG (must save as...)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11676385/DJI_0010.DNG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11676385/DJI_0013.DNG

And some screenshot from 2k video footage all set to none
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11676385/Untitled-1dji.jpg

If needed, I also upload the original video from where I got the screenshot above
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11676385/DJI_0016.MOV

Why do these posts of blurry pictures keep coming up? It tells me that for every person who raises this issue (as it's only notice by experienced photo takers) there are probably another 100 pers who have not noticed or raised the issue.

DJI has some serious quality control issues with the Phantom line of cameras. Hopefully they addressed this for the Phantom 4, but I seriously doubt it.

Focus problems can be caused by:
- Lens defect
- Lens and sensor misaligned
- Software settings
- Fixed aperture problem (if photos look worse in sun then in sunrise/sunset)
- Temperature (cold affects focus & apparently heat does as well)
- smudge(s) on lens
- smudge(s) on lens cover
- lens cover glass misaligned in frame (rubber seal not properly seated)
- lens cover not screwed on sufficiently tight

Atverycore. Yours is the similar to mine. But maybe a bit worse. Good on the left. Not as good on the right.
On the picture of the tiles. Look at the left receptacle. Then look at the right.

Good left. Poor right is consistent on all your pictures.

Some have sent then back under warranty. That is your call.

Same with the building. Cars bottom left good. Top right a bit fuzzy.
These cameras seem a lot better at video.

The thing is that on video (which is the reason I bought the P3 , to shoot video) everything seems very soft , out of focus. I took pictures just to see if everything was good, the RAWs seem to have better quality (sharper) than video. Still don't know if this is normal quality or should send back under warranty and receive another one with the same quality or worse or stick with this one..

I've download some 4k videos (youtube and vimeo) and when I see the video at 100% everything just seems to be very soft , without much detail. On my browser window without seeing the video at fullscreen everything seems to be ok. So I don't know if this quality I'm getting on my videos is normal for the P3 camera or not, although I do have some sharpness problems on same areas.

The thing is that on video (which is the reason I bought the P3 , to shoot video) everything seems very soft , out of focus. I took pictures just to see if everything was good, the RAWs seem to have better quality (sharper) than video. Still don't know if this is normal quality or should send back under warranty and receive another one with the same quality or worse or stick with this one..

I've download some 4k videos (youtube and vimeo) and when I see the video at 100% everything just seems to be very soft , without much detail. On my browser window without seeing the video at fullscreen everything seems to be ok. So I don't know if this quality I'm getting on my videos is normal for the P3 camera or not, although I do have some sharpness problems on same areas.
Is your monitor 4K so that you see pixel for pixel resolution or lower?

For a comparison you could watch a YouTube 4K P3P video (ensure you select 4K in the bottom right corner of the YouTube window). Youtube will send you a 4K video even if you don't have a 4K monitor. Compare the result to what you are seeing with your video.

I do have a 4k monitor but the footage I'm getting from my P3A is only 2k so I didn't played it on that screen. I've put my 2k video footage , and also 1080p on Premiere Pro and also some 4k video I got on vimeo (I can download the original files from the uploader) just to see how sharp is the video when saw at 100% scale and it isn't very sharp or with much detail but when viewed at 50% ou on a brower window everything seems to be pretty good , my footage not so much even on a small window. That's when I started thinking my camera is softer than supposed, then I've shown the DNG to several persons and it seems that everyone notices that the left side is sharper than the center so I guess that small difference is enough to be seen at video footage also making it a softer. I could always add unsharp masking in post but I guess I would sleep better at night knowing that my camera is pretty on spot when it comes to sharpness / focus since I want to use my P3 to video production. On the other side I don't know if I'm just getting paranoid and there isn't much difference in sharpness on my videos compared to what I see on vimeo / youtube.

Last edited:
I do have a 4k monitor but the footage I'm getting from my P3A is only 2k so I didn't played it on that screen. I've put my 2k video footage , and also 1080p on Premiere Pro and also some 4k video I got on vimeo (I can download the original files from the uploader) just to see how sharp is the video when saw at 100% scale and it isn't very sharp or with much detail but when viewed at 50% ou on a brower window everything seems to be pretty good , my footage not so much even on a small window. That's when I started thinking my camera is softer than supposed, then I've shown the DNG to several persons and it seems that everyone notices that the left side is sharper than the center so I guess that small difference is enough to be seen at video footage also making it a softer. I could always add unsharp masking in post but I guess I would sleep better at night knowing that my camera is pretty on spot when it comes to sharpness / focus since I want to use my P3 to video production. On the other side I don't know if I'm just getting paranoid and there isn't much difference in sharpness on my videos compared to what I see on vimeo / youtube.

Aaaaahhhhh.... That is "part" of your problem. You're blowing up a 2.7 K vid onto a 4 K monitor. Crisp details will be no more.

I do have a Phantom Advanced which has the same sensor and lens as the Phantom Professional. I also have a Phantom Standard. There is a big difference between the two. The Phantom Standard lens is what I would call a "true lens". It does not distort objects on the right and left sides like the Phantom Standard & Professional (you notice it big time if you hover and spin 360 degrees... objects on the sides stretch & compress).

I also find that the Phantom Standard camera is unaffected by temperature (hot/cold) or climate (humid, dry) and produces an extremely crisp photo and video. In my experience the Phantom Advanced/Professional camera is affected by temperature and climate.

The Phantom Advanced/Professional camera lens design is made to accommodate numerous picture resolutions/size. Because of this it seems DJI had to make a lens that tends to squish the image in the centre and stretch the sides. Firmware in the camera quickly adjusts the photo to a non fish-eye look at select resolutions.

When my Phantom Advanced camera is cold (temperatures below freezing or slightly above), the centre of the picture becomes much softer/less sharp. This tells me that the metal internals inside the camera are contracting under the cold and moving the sensor/lens slightly out of alignment.

I had a look at your photos. The photos taken of the apartment block look fine. Some of the others, not so fine. It's almost as if the aperture is letting in too much light. Your video also looks fine. You could reduce the softness by going into the camera settings and select STYLE and then LANDSCAPE (think that's what it's called). It increases your sharpness & contrast by a factor of 1... it's worth a try if you have not already tried it.

You could also try using an ND8 Filter (some are bad, some are average and some are great). The ND8 I use is my goto filter for filming during sunrise/sunset/bright sunny day. It gives a super cool lens flare when moving away from the sun and also provides that golden colour & blue sky in the early morning or late evening. Items appear more in focus on a sunny day with this filter. Also it does not screw on a lens, it slides on which makes it a breeze for putting it on/taking it off. It may help your camera. The one I use is (link to Canadian site): niceEshop(TM) ND8 Filter Lens for Dji Phantom 3 Professiona Advanced Camera (Black+ND8): Amazon.ca: Camera & Photo

You may not wish to try the following, it's your call.... I did read that since temperature affects the camera, some users have placed their Phantom (without battery) in the Freezer for 15 or 30 mins or so in hopes that the cold would contract internal camera parts. Then let Phantom sit at room temperature for an hour to see if things returned to a proper alignment. I guess this would be no different than when I go out flying at massively cold arctic temps here in Canada during February (the camera is negatively affected in regards to focus.. center becomes very soft focus), but everything goes back to normal once back at room temperature, so items are moving inside.

Good luck!

Last edited:
So yesterday I made some shots to see if this out of focus problem was visible on a 1080p video. I shot on 2k and edited everything to 1080p
LOG , sharpness on -1. Here it is the result:

Feedback is welcome. On photos I can see that the left side is always sharper , on focus while the rest is soft.
On video is that also visible ? Should I send it back to DJI ?

Thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj