SoCal best spots to fly

Reaction score
I am looking for spots away from people and to capture sunsets and some nice landscape footage.

What are your favorite spots?

Del Mar, Mission Bay, La Jolla. All located in San Diego is what i propose. Stil trying to muster up the courage to do some myself. Il have to find a link but there was a guy who did the "best things of SD', there was a faire amount of drone shots.taken. Cool way to represent the city.

Where in SoCal? I'm in LA and any one of those little parks on Mullholland that look over the Valley will give you some amazing material and if you feel like hiking, all of the canyons have some amazing spaces, and depending on your piloting skills, some AMAZING locales.

Reactions: Phantomfreak
Thank you guys.

I thought San Diego is one of the worst areas to fly in because of the airport etc.

Canyon roads sound good.

I am would love to meet up with some of your guys to watch you fly in person. I am sure I'd learn things I don't know.

Last edited:
I agree with Jussaguy, I live in the same area and there are no shortage of places to fly in and around LA with amazing scenery, particularly up in the canyons.. I have tons of footage of the numerous canyons, lakes, and nature in general. Only gotta watch out for those pesky helicopters that love to fly barely 250 ft. above ground level

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Jussaguy
Let's do a meet!!!!

Thank you guys.

I thought San Diego is one of the worst areas to fly in because of the airport etc.

Canyon roads sound good.

I am would love to meet up with some of your guys to watch you fly in person. I am sure I'd learn thing I don't know.

Not if your along the beaches and stuff. The ap does give you warning where are areas that dont allow flights. Are you located in SD? Im down to do a meet

I am travel a lot for work and I am up and down the coast. So I can meet anywhere with you guys, even if it includes, parking and then hiking to a great spot. It's best to stay away from other people, cars etc.

My P4 is always with me and I am eager to learn more about flying it well.
The hardest for me is still combining several movements in a fluid motion. For instance circling while rotating the drone to keep the camera pointed at a thing or subject. Often I just do theses passes over and over an imaginary line to get better at it.

And I gotta say, today I am pretty excited, I just found out my Polar Drone Trekker backpack should be here by the end of this week. I can't wait to start using it to consolidate things to keep everything tidy in my car and fit everything while traveling.

I'm in the LA area too (long beach), I'm down to do a meet up. Have you guys already done one or have one planned?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Where in SoCal? I'm in LA and any one of those little parks on Mullholland that look over the Valley will give you some amazing material and if you feel like hiking, all of the canyons have some amazing spaces, and depending on your piloting skills, some AMAZING locales.
I'm fairly new to this, but live near Topanga Canyon and have flown there and at the beach in Mexico a few times. Very open to meet-ups/new input. Like to hike.

I am travel a lot for work and I am up and down the coast. So I can meet anywhere with you guys, even if it includes, parking and then hiking to a great spot. It's best to stay away from other people, cars etc.

My P4 is always with me and I am eager to learn more about flying it well.
The hardest for me is still combining several movements in a fluid motion. For instance circling while rotating the drone to keep the camera pointed at a thing or subject. Often I just do theses passes over and over an imaginary line to get better at it.

And I gotta say, today I am pretty excited, I just found out my Polar Drone Trekker backpack should be here by the end of this week. I can't wait to start using it to consolidate things to keep everything tidy in my car and fit everything while traveling.
I see you have DJI monitor hood. Does it work well? I want to get one but the one I got from Amazon sucked and I sent it back. Anyone else got Hood input?

I'm visiting San Diego now and will be here for a few more months. I've been looking for places to fly as well. I know there are tons of little airports all over the place here. La Jolla would be great flying. I know you get a warning from the FAA app due to the glider port over by Blacks.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1466354771.947811.jpg

Reactions: 28wins
I'm visiting San Diego now and will be here for a few more months. I've been looking for places to fly as well. I know there are tons of little airports all over the place here. La Jolla would be great flying. I know you get a warning from the FAA app due to the glider port over by Blacks.

Bizarre! I'm at a resort in Carlsbad called Omni Lacosta and I've been swimming and flying all weekend and got some amazing footage.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1