So what went wrong

Reaction score
I went from Texas to Alabama. I hooked up my Shield, controller, and P3A. I tried to do a compass calibration several times but never would take. Exasperated, (since I bought the Shield for the P3A) I hooked up my Galaxy S6 phone, successfully calibrated the compass, and flew my mission. Why would the compass calibration not work with the Shield? I have flown with the Shield several times at home in Texas.

What problem did you face during calibration?

The compass calibration never would take with the Shield, had a calibration error each time I attempted a calibration. When I hooked up my phone the calibration went thru fine first time. I also had a blank map page with the shield. Could that have something to do with this? Since my phone has a cell connection I got the correct map (satellite) view when I hooked it up.

The compass calibration never would take with the Shield, had a calibration error each time I attempted a calibration. When I hooked up my phone the calibration went thru fine first time. I also had a blank map page with the shield. Could that have something to do with this? Since my phone has a cell connection I got the correct map (satellite) view when I hooked it up.

The maps are cached on your device (phone or tablet etc.). That cache isn't going to somehow bounce over to your tablet from your phone.

I dunno about the compass deal. That is weird. I have heard about compass issues on the Shield but the P3 isn't calibrating against the tablets compass. It's calibrating its own compass. Don't know what to tell you about that.

The maps are cached on your device (phone or tablet etc.). That cache isn't going to somehow bounce over to your tablet from your phone.

I dunno about the compass deal. That is weird. I have heard about compass issues on the Shield but the P3 isn't calibrating against the tablets compass. It's calibrating its own compass. Don't know what to tell you about that.
Since "That cache isn't going to somehow bounce over to your tablet from your phone." how do I get the cache to the tablet in a new area. Never have understood that.

I believe your connection of shield with RC had issue that time.

I had a green 'ready to fly' with the Shield but was afraid to due to compass cal error. Since I had no map I could not tell where my home point was and I did not want the AC to fly back to Texas if it decided to RTH.

On the way back home I stopped and opened the Go app on the shield and got a blank map screen as expected. I tethered the Shield to my cell phone and the sat map populated on the App. Didn't try the compass calibration as I wanted to get home but I would bet it would have worked with the map data in the app.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic