So what do I lose when I have no GPS in the display device?

Reaction score
So I have a iPad mini4 that is not cellular. So without a GPS, when I fly, I lose the ability to reset the home point? And something else? Is there just 2 features that I lose? Versus using my iPhone 6 that has GPS in it? Looks like a Garmin Glo solves this........

Thanks , I looked around, but I didn't see that there was a consensus on this........

Last edited:
When using a mobile device that does not contain a GPS receiver, you cannot use Follow Me mode and you cannot reset the home point to your mobile device's current location after taking off. If you must use either of those features and swapping out your mobile device is not an option, you could attach an external GPS receiver to your mobile device (like one of these).

Thx, I would add a Garmin Glo if I do this. But I really don't need the added features right now.....this seems to be a cheaper solution that a cellular plan that is monthly....

You do not have to activate anything monthly, you just need the cellular type so you can do everything msinger talked about. No activation required, no sim card required

I'm sure your cellular plan did cost you, but you don't have to activate anything, there is a gps built into cellular type iPads.

So when you buy a cellular iPad, you do not have to activate a plan, because the gps function is separate and works?

Ok, that makes sense.

Having a data plan activated has nothing to do with that gps firing up and marking its location when you turn that iPad on

Yeah, I get that....So now the question is , if I tether my iphone to provide internet to the pad , do I get gps on the pad too?

Now, keep in mind that without active cellular data on the device, the gps will just be a PING. A single dot, nothing around it, no information, nothing, just a PING (hot gps signal). Now to get all your data around that Ping you need to tether iPad to hotspot and load maps

Yeah, I get that....So now the question is , if I tether my iphone to provide internet to the pad , do I get gps on the pad too?
You would get limited location services, based on the cell tower information. But not actual GPS information.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic