So just to be clear...

Reaction score
Right now taking any videos or pictures for a realtor WITHOUT an FAA license is illegal and might?...probably? ...could? get prosecuted right? BUT Aug 29th law changes and this can be done without issue correct?

Sent from my SM-T800 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Also to be clear this would be done as a hobby whenever and not as being a realtor myself or for a business. I would however... when legal.. charge the realtor wanting the work done. Thanks for the help

Right now, it's only legal if you have a 333 exemption and follow the rules from your approved exemption.

Also to be clear this would be done as a hobby
It's only a hobby if nobody is making money. If you truly want to fly for hobby purposes, then head out to your favorite flying spot and fly for fun.

Right now taking any videos or pictures for a realtor WITHOUT an FAA license is illegal and might?...probably? ...could? get prosecuted right?
For all the fuss and despite the number of people that must have been doing a little commercial use on the side without a 333, the FAA has not charged anyone for selling photos without an exemption.

For all the fuss and despite the number of people that must have been doing a little commercial use on the side without a 333, the FAA has not charged anyone for selling photos without an exemption.
True. The OP is asking what is lawful though.

If you charge, that's commercial use. When Aug 29, arrives, it's still commercial use and you will still have to be registered as a commercial operator according to part 107. In other words, come Aug 29th, it's STILL an issue. It will simply be a little easier to get a commercial registration but you MUST have one to use it commercially. Google " Part 107" for more details.

Just spent the last three hours reading posts and catching up on everything. So much for the condensed version. Spent the $150 and booked the appointment for the test that I still can't find the proper material on so what's the worst that could happen right?? Many posts with links but all seem generally based with nothing being made for the upcoming test in august. If anyone has better links or information it's greatly appreciated..and thank you for above replies

Reactions: nemoishouse
Actually, if the Realtor uses the product, it's considered commercial, therefore illegal without the Sec. 333. The FAA has no gray area on this.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Just spent the last three hours reading posts and catching up on everything. So much for the condensed version. Spent the $150 and booked the appointment for the test that I still can't find the proper material on so what's the worst that could happen right?? Many posts with links but all seem generally based with nothing being made for the upcoming test in august. If anyone has better links or information it's greatly appreciated..and thank you for above replies

Good info. Could you point me to where the actual booking for the test happens? The FAA site is pretty vague. The source material for the knowledge test is also surprisingly difficult to locate. I'm not a pilot nor have I ever been one. What resource do they offer for me to learn the information I need before the examination?

You book the tests through the CATS site (Comira | Sign In)
In addition to the Part 107 info, you need to study weather, airspace,sections charts, etc. you should be able to find something called UAS ACS which describes the elements of aeronautical knowledge to be covered in the test. Most of that is covered in "The Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge". You can buy a hard copy from places like Amazon, but if you look around you can find a downloadable .pdf version for free.

As we speak im going through the 524 pages of the pilots handbook. Its hell but parts are important to learn. I have quite a few helpful links and info...

Sarah Nilsson - UAG Test Prep - 1

This link is basically the number one reference needed to definitely study

Drone Knowledge Test - Sample

This is a study quiz very resourceful to quiz yourself

The Commercial Drones FM Podcast

This podcast (website..android or ios) has a GREAT 30 min sample test read to you that gives you time to answer then gives correct answer and why.

Then download app called "cram" seach the words "107" and youll get a study guide of flash cards. Good stuff.

To set up your appointment to take the test go to catstest.com

Anything else just let me know! Good luck!

Reactions: gravity
For this test, there are certainly parts of the handbook that you can ignore, theory of flight, airfcraft instruments and the whole section on IFR for starters.

For this test, there are certainly parts of the handbook that you can ignore, theory of flight, airfcraft instruments and the whole section on IFR for starters.
Ive sectioned quite a bit out...any definate references would greatly be appreciated so I dont waste valuable study time on unnecessary material. On weather now. The quiz I took had material I didnt think id need and didnt know so now Im frantically thumbing through the handbook thinking I need more than I really do. Weather..airspace..anthing you think will help. Thanks!!

Download this document, http://www.uav-groundschool.com/library/uas_acs.pdf
That's the official list of the elements that will be covered on the tests. You still have to use other resources such as the handbook to study the elements, but you'll know which ones to focus on.

Did anyone attend drone boot camp for journalism in Licoln Ne. I did and it was very informative. You will need to know how to read wether statements from airports, operations of aiports, how to read the charts of airports and obstacles around the airport on the charts, traffic patterns around airports, know about drugs and alcohol, 8hrs bottle to throttle and such. Much more along the lines of who is responsible and who to call if you have questions near an airport. Hope that helped a little.

Sent from my SM-N910P using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Mfoster82
Did anyone attend drone boot camp for journalism in Licoln Ne. I did and it was very informative. You will need to know how to read wether statements from airports, operations of aiports, how to read the charts of airports and obstacles around the airport on the charts, traffic patterns around airports, know about drugs and alcohol, 8hrs bottle to throttle and such. Much more along the lines of who is responsible and who to call if you have questions near an airport. Hope that helped a little.

Sent from my SM-N910P using PhantomPilots mobile app

I havent done any classes but Im all over the place finding material that is referenced for the test. Alot of scamming going on for the 107 ground school I keep hearing about so I stayed away from it. Wish FAA would themselves release a 107 guide/book of some sort. Im pretty sure Ive spent countless hours reading on things that probably wont be on the quiz. thanks for the referenced material..especially things I would of overlooked like the math on drinking amounts and times.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4