So DJI is adding object detection?

D

DrewFlies

Saw a recent video where DJI is performing object detections on their quads. Right now they are testing it for parking citations and other platforms. Does this mean we might see an object detection and avoid in a future Phantom 3 update or will it be saved for the Phantom 4? Cant believe the Phantom 3 has already been out 6 months..

I can't believe its been out 6 months and I just bought it. Arriving in a few days. Lol I'm an idiot.. But nothing to do about that! :(

Reactions: Mike Mauk
Only the Matrice has it as an option and it's expensive. It may be standard on the Phantom 5.

The big question is whether the Phantom line will be refreshed in any way for the all important Christmas shopping season. We will find out in the next 4 weeks.

The big question is whether the Phantom line will be refreshed in any way for the all important Christmas shopping season. We will find out in the next 4 weeks.

With the Phantom 3 standard just released a month ago and the Phantom recently getting the POI and follow me features as promised. I dont see them releasing a new model anytime soon. I can see the Phantom 4 being announced around April next year. Same time the Phantom 3 was announced. It may or may not have that feature but will be a huge plus if it does.

I think object avoidance sounds good in theory but I'm not so sure it will be a good thing really. It seems like another curve ball that could be thrown at the pilot to react to, making flight very odd and possibly even more difficult than just being aware enough and capable enough to avoid objects ourselves. Frankly it's a massive auto flight feature that I envision could really put a hurt on things that are already working fine. One thing is for sure, it better be able to turn off if you don't want it.

Next phantom will probably have a 360* camera and two controller option. That's my guess along with slight flight time increase.

Next phantom will probably have a 360* camera and two controller option. That's my guess along with slight flight time increase.
You wont need a second camera controller if you are using 360 video - you just need a good chase pilot. The 360 will just capture everything and when played back, the user will simply follow the subject via a head tracking unit (Oculus Rift/GearVR/Morpheous) or even simply by point and draging.

You wont need a second camera controller if you are using 360 video - you just need a good chase pilot. The 360 will just capture everything and when played back, the user will simply follow the subject via a head tracking unit (Oculus Rift/GearVR/Morpheous) or even simply by point and draging.

Uh that's not what I meant. I was referring to the inspire 1 style camera with 360 rotation.

Uh that's not what I meant. I was referring to the inspire 1 style camera with 360 rotation.
Ahhh. You will regret using that dual control and 1 camera system. The pilot will always get disorientated as they share the same feed. Unless they introduce 2 FPV cameras, its pointless.

Anyways back on topic - object avoidance... DJI should make them like the robot vacuums..

The customer service is already being refreshed-- :D:D:D:D

Reactions: witold
It's like a car the more crap you toss in it the more troubles...
I would assume you would have to be a really ( Challenged Person ) for the Mods. :) (PC)
If you need the option.

It's like a car the more crap you toss in it the more troubles...
I would assume you would have to be a really ( Challenged Person ) for the Mods. :) (PC)
If you need the option.
Mods are great, if you don't go sticking extra batteries on the thing-- LOL -- they start looking like a 4 wheeler designed for long distances in a desert marathon with all the extra gas cans:D:D:D:D-- which is ok it that is your thing.:cool::cool::cool::cool:
upload_2015-9-28_20-8-23.jpeg

I can't believe its been out 6 months and I just bought it. Arriving in a few days. Lol I'm an idiot.. But nothing to do about that! :(
Don't worry. If they announce a new on, just sell this right away. You won't loose much money. I'm on my 4th Phantom.

Reactions: bobmyers
The only upgrade I would like to see is longer lasting batteries. A 40 minute battery would be great. Everything else works terrific. I sent my P3A to over 3 km (2mi) easily with still a very good signal and just sufficient battery. I probably could have gotten 4 km before heading back. With a longer battery, I could have continued roaming around the countryside.
image.png

Does anyone else want to see the ability to take pictures while the video is on or is it just me?

I like to capture full flights and don't like the fact that I can't take stills while doing so. I know I can screen cap the video but you would think it would be a simple integration

The Matrice is interesting, its almost as if DJI are inviting third parties to develop the tech which DJI will buy for future models.

I suspect an Inspire will have object detection before the Phantom range and I am not sure it'll be soon, possibly an Inspire announced late next year. As ianwood said, Phantom 5 possibly.

I second the 360 gimbal on the Phantom 4 idea, not sure on the second controller though as it'll put the price up.

Which is probably the point with all these things. DJI could probably release a Phantom with object detection next week but it would cost a fortune so it'll only come out when the price is right.

Reactions: jcknows0

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik