Smooth landing? Any tips?

Reaction score
I have watched the video on DJI on youtube and thought that I understood.

But any smooth landing - is not anything that I can get the device to do. it is jumping around and flipping over.

The thing is that the phantom is starting to land - and the video says that then I should not thouch anything and let it land... but it is comming down too fast ... jumping a few times when it hits the ground and then sometimes flipping upside down..

So what am I doing wrong here?

baiaz said:

But any smooth landing - is not anything that I can get the device to do. it is jumping around and flipping over.

The thing is that the phantom is starting to land - and the video says that then I should not thouch anything and let it land... but it is comming down too fast ... jumping a few times when it hits the ground and then sometimes flipping upside down..

I can try to assist..

Right before you hit the ground pump the throttle up a bit to make it bounce off the air before the ground. Then back right back where it was. That way you take the momentum out and counter it a bit. Then it will come down a bit slower. I also have been known (in windy conditions) to hover a few inches off the ground waiting for the right moment to back the throttle off all the way.

Option 1) Do approach and when 10-20 cmts, move throtle down... inmediatly tounch land perform a CSC action with two sticks (same that starting motors). That cut off motors inmediatly and you won't damage propellers. Always try to land over soft grass or similar.
Option 2) With more experiewnce and when you feel confidence, you also could catch phantom on landing :

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_cDUxKEMeM[/youtube]

since adding a gimbal, I've switched to doing a lot of hand catching,. it's almost easier than trying to land smoothly.
(much easier to do if you have a neckstrap/lanyard to hang the Tx around your neck so you can operated it with one hand while catching with the other)

ironically, it's almost like the smoothest landings are done by the Phantom when it's in failsafe landing mode :lol:

baiaz said:

I go by the wind. no wind I do atti, and if there is even slight wind I do Gps mode to prevent it from drifting and landing which will flip it over.

I prefer to land I atti mode, especially in winds as gps tends to do more corrections bjt only do that if your comfortable flying atti in wind. If its too windy to land safely I get into a gps hover and catch it just make sure you have it hovering stable before attempting to catch it and keep it still until motors stop.

With normal landings I come in low and get it stable a few inches off the ground, at this point the prop wash hitting the ground will actually give you more lift so slightly reduce throttle then just before hitting the grojnd you may want to give a little throttle to avoid hitting too hard. So practice some soft and slow landings in calm conditions over soft grass, always shut the motors down as soon as you hit the ground practice makes perfect.

Audaciter said:
That's another thing for DJI to add to the Naza Assistant. "Feather Soft Landing Feature".
Just enable it, and your good to go. ;)

How do I do that?

jumanoc said:
Option 1) Do approach and when 10-20 cmts, move throtle down... inmediatly tounch land perform a CSC action with two sticks (same that starting motors). That cut off motors inmediatly and you won't damage propellers. Always try to land over soft grass or similar.
Option 2) With more experiewnce and when you feel confidence, you also could catch phantom on landing :

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_cDUxKEMeM[/youtube]

that is a great video.,.. I do have a tendency to move the throtle to fast ... and dont do it smoothly like you do...

Thank you all for all your great input. I will be reading them again (I am from Norway and English is not my first language) and maybe I have some followup questions..,. thanks

Gizmo3000 said:
since adding a gimbal, I've switched to doing a lot of hand catching,. it's almost easier than trying to land smoothly.
(much easier to do if you have a neckstrap/lanyard to hang the Tx around your neck so you can operated it with one hand while catching with the other)

Bingo! I do exactly the same-have the transmitter around my neck with a strap and a detachable clip (old ski lift pass strap) and just catch the Phantom in the air- much easier than trying to guide it down to a specific landing spot.

I often also launch it that way- start the engines while it's on the ground, lift it up by one strut, and then give it a bit of power and release it into the air. I can also just hold it in one hand, and then start the engines with the other- but that's a bit more awkward since you need to do the little CDC trick to start.

In this way, I can easily launch and recover the Phantom even if I'm working in bushy, wilderness terrain.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj