Smart battery discharge?

Reaction score
I've heard and read not to store the batteries charged so my situation has me paranoid. Last time I flew, I charged both batteries in anticipation of flying the next day. That was 9 days ago and it has literally been raining every day since. I don't have room to fly it in my house to kill the batteries. My question because they're the smart batteries, will they discharge themselves before causing themselves damage??

The "smart" batteries will discharge on their own after a specified period of time. By default it is 10 days. After that the battery will slowly discharge to 50% more or less.
You set how many days wait for battery autodischarge in the DJI Go app. I set it to 7 days.

I've heard and read not to store the batteries charged so my situation has me paranoid. Last time I flew, I charged both batteries in anticipation of flying the next day. That was 9 days ago and it has literally been raining every day since. I don't have room to fly it in my house to kill the batteries. My question because they're the smart batteries, will they discharge themselves before causing themselves damage??
Yes, they will discharge themselves after a period which you can determine in the GO app. I think the default setting is 10 days.

The "smart" batteries will discharge on their own after a specified period of time. By default it is 10 days. .

Snap!;)

It's not a good idea to keep Phantom batteries fully charged for long periods of time. Setting the auto discharge period to 2 days should work well for most people.

Reactions: bodine and nickyb
It's not a good idea to keep Phantom batteries fully charged for long periods of time. Setting the auto discharge period to 2 days should work well for most people.
Agreed. I fly frequently and my batteries are set to 5 days. I never need to top up.

I have mine set to (5) days as well. Just keep in mind when they Auto-Discharge they will get warm... possibly very warm but not dangerously warm BUT.... you want them where they can get some air when they are auto-discharging not stuck down into a tight foam enclosure.

When I am not flying I have them sitting out in the open so IF they hit the 5-day mark they can do so freely without any excess heat build up. HEAT is a #1 killer of LiPo batteries.

And don't be tempted to check the discharge status prematurely (by pressing the battery button) or you will reset the timer if they haven't quite started the process.

Reactions: lotusteve
And don't be tempted to check the discharge status prematurely (by pressing the battery button) or you will reset the timer if they haven't quite started the process.

Good tip. Any press starts the timer again.

Reactions: lotusteve
I have mine set to (5) days as well. Just keep in mind when they Auto-Discharge they will get warm... possibly very warm but not dangerously warm BUT.... you want them where they can get some air when they are auto-discharging not stuck down into a tight foam enclosure.

When I am not flying I have them sitting out in the open so IF they hit the 5-day mark they can do so freely without any excess heat build up. HEAT is a #1 killer of LiPo batteries.
I've never noticed them feel warm, though no doubt the energy is being dissipated as heat and there is a lot of power stored in them
You could probably measure a slight warmth but it is nothing to get remotely concerned about.
Bear in mind they are usually quite hot when discharged rapidly during a flight.

I've never noticed them feel warm, though no doubt the energy is being dissipated as heat and there is a lot of power stored in them
You could probably measure a slight warmth but it is nothing to get remotely concerned about.
Bear in mind they are usually quite hot when discharged rapidly during a flight.
I actually did experiment leaving one of them in the foam in the case for 3 days or so and didn't notice any heat buildup. I kept checking it for one full day and didn't "feel" any increase in the heat-- the discharge amperage has to be very low-- probably less that .5 amp. That would be a good fact to know if anyone knows. No, I don't normally store them in my P3 case-- but was just checking because I had heard the comment before.

Reactions: Buckaye
I actually did experiment leaving one of them in the foam in the case for 3 days or so and didn't notice any heat buildup. I kept checking it for one full day and didn't "feel" any increase in the heat-- the discharge amperage has to be very low-- probably less that .5 amp. That would be a good fact to know if anyone knows. No, I don't normally store them in my P3 case-- but was just checking because I had heard the comment before.

+1 the drainage is so slow there is no noticeable heat....

A week or two here and there left at full charge won't do anything significant. It is when it is left fully charged over and over for months and months that it starts to sub-optimal. They will discharge by themselves before it really becomes a problem. Don't worry about it.

Reactions: ParsnipHysorter
HEAT is a #1 killer of LiPo batteries.

This is the truth! Keeping a battery charged at 100% for prolonged periods of time do nothing compared to running them hot. Charging them hot is the kiss of death.

The #1 thing to be concerned with regarding life of the battery is heat, hands down. Living in Arizona I'm just resigned to the fact that I will be eating up batteries if I want to enjoy my P3 during the summer. I've got nearly 50 charges on my oldest battery. It has run as hot as 143F according to the logs. Still says it is good for 100% but I do notice perhaps a 10% shorter flight time than my new battery.

Thanks guys I appreciate, the most helpful tip is that the discharge timer restarts whenever the button is pressed to check battery level

Since no one else mentioned it, remember that the setting is per individual battery. So for each battery you have, go through the app and make them what you need. In the early days, I had 5 batteries all with a different number of days. Haha Now I leave mine at 3. And they generate pretty much zero heat (as far as I have ever noticed) when self-discharging.

Pete, this has not been my experience.
I've checked a few batteries one day and they were full but the next day I checked and they had been auto discharged.
Maybe those were my Inspire batteries though but I would think the P3 batteries would behave the same. Perhaps different FW?

I thought you had to turn the battery on to reset the counter.

I think the inspire batts may be different - not sure as I don't own one, but many others have stated the same thing as me so I have never been tempted to check just in case. I'm not sure why this would be considered a 'feature' as its sounds rather annoying to me

That seems like a design flaw to me, if true. Where did you read that, or determine that the push of the battery check button resets the timer?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav